Chapter 6: A million miles apart

Dedicated to PrazivalX

Alice heart beat faster as she heard his laugh, Eric. Maybe she was dreaming, maybe this wasn't real?

She was probably asleep. Yes, she definitely was. But as she pinched herself continuously, she realized that she wasn't. She was wide awake.

They hadn't talked in the past 1 month and now, now he decided to call her, but why?

She wanted to go on asking herself questions but soon realized that the call was still ongoing.

"Why are you calling me?"

"Straight to the point I see. I guess I deserve that"

"Indeed"

There was the sound of a heavy breathing on the other side of the line as if he had just ran a marathon.

"I wanted to talk to you"

"And why the sudden urge?"

"Is it a crime to call you?"

No it wasn't but for someone who had not talked to her for a while, it was.

"I have no idea" she said.

"I would have called you earlier" Eric continued.

"But you didn't"

Or didn't want to.

"I lost your number Alice"

"What a perfect excuse, even I wouldn't have thought of that" She said sarcastically.

"I'm serious. I can't just stop talking to you out of the blue"

But you did. Without hesitation.

She closed her eyes as she fought back the tears. He couldn't see her crying but he would still know, it was Eric after all. He seemed to know everything that was going through her mind even when she spoke no words, he still knew.

"And how did you get it, my number?"

"I got it form Alex... "

Now that was new. Why did Alex give him? He knew everything that happened between them.

"...He wasn't so keen on giving me. "

"You don't say" She whispered sarcastically.

"I probably deserve it"

"What a suprise"

"I hurt you"

"Now that's new "

"I'm a jerk"

"You didn't know?"

"Alice!"

"Eric!"

What had she said that was wrong? After all, she was merely agreeing to what he was saying.

"Do you hate me?"

Did she? Quite the contrary. He had hurt her, yes but to hate him? She felt something else and she was pretty sure it wasn't hate. The problem was she didn't know how she felt towards him, not anymore. She used to be so sure about her feelings for him but now, her name sounded strange on his lips.

She wasn't broken but she was hurt. At first, it had been hard but as time passed she learnt to live with it. To acknowledge. What happened between them was a thing of the past, a distant memory.

"I don't know" She said truthfully.

"I wish things didn't have to be like this, sincerely."

"Then why did you leave? Why did you move out of town?"