Chapter 4: Hell has frozen

Alice gripped her jacket in anger as she continued her short walk to school. She was certain that steam was coming from her ears.

Passerbys stared briefly at the petite teenager who marched angrily down the road with a sour expression and, wearing the shortest skirt known to man.

The morning had started wonderfully until her mom kindly told her that she would be following her to one of her book reading clubs after school. She had no choice but to say yes, she could not say no to the woman that birthed her. But deep down she knew someone had set her up and it was obviously, Alex. Who else would do such but her infuriating brother that still smelt of eggs?

Maybe the book club wouldn't be so bad.

Ha! Who the hell was she kidding? It was going out be miserable, utterly miserable. Being stuck in a room with a bunch of annoying, pestering mothers who tried to make it their sole mission not to mind their business but to help the "wayward generation" when their kids were probably worse.

Alice hurridely entered the school building, and searched frantically for her friends or at least the people who always suck out her attention but the corridor was empty.

This couldn't be right, she wasn't late for school.

She continued her search until she heard loud voices coming from the school's auditorium.

She walked inside and was shocked to see the entire school there, already seated and the principal on the stage addressing the students.

She managed to find a seat at the back and tried to hear what the principal was saying but it was quite impossible with the loud excited voices of the students and where she was sitting. She slumped hopelessly on her seat and looked sideways to ask anyone what the commotion was all about.

Beside her was a blonde guy whose name she didn't know and didn't care to know but she knew he was a senior and he looked like he'd give her answers.

Clearing her throat, she tapped his shoulders to get his attention. "Sorry to bother you.. "

The blonde guy turned his head towards her and his eyes lit up with recognition.
"Hey Alice"

Wait, he knew her name? How did he know her name? She never once spoke to him.

"Ehm hi?" She said rather awkwardly.

The blonde guy smiled and stretched out his hand which she shook.
"I'm Owen, I and your boyfriend are friends, same class"

"Ohh. I'm sorry I totally forgot" she said sheepishly.

"it's cool" shrugging his shoulders "I didn't expect you to remember me. We never talked plus since Eric left the country two months ago. Not to mention that, you probably don't see me around."

Alice, almost told him that the real reason she didn't remember was because, he was not relevant to her but, she refrained herself.

"Well firstly, he's my ex, and he didn't move into another country, just visiting."

Why the hell was she still defending him?

"You guys still talk right? Your relationship was like the talk of the school. "

Now that was some news. She always knew people talked about her and when she got into a relationship with Eric, it spiced things up.

A popular sophomore dating a handsome senior, wasn't that some tea?

She nearly laughed at the thought but realized that she'd probably look crazy. And why the hell were they still talking about her former relationship?

She twirled a loose curl on her hair with her fingers as she thought of the best answer to give.
"We still talk of course. We didn't end on bad terms or anything. It just couldn't be helped"