Chapter 11:Cotton Candy

"Alice, what in Heaven are you up to?"

Alice shut her diary and, frowned at the interruption which stopped her flow of thought. "I was minding my business, quite perfectly, up until you spoke."

She picked up her pen to continue writing but all inspiration that she had, stopped flowing, she was completely dried out.

"Aren't you supposed to be getting ready to leave for your part time job?" Veronica asked as she watched her friend get lost in thought. "Isn't this like the third job you've had this past month?"

"Second." Alice snapped, slightly offended at the change in figure.

Veronica scoffed and, held back the harsh words building up at the back of her throat.
"It is a slight and insignificant altercation in the number but either ways, if you can't handle such job, then quit."

Alice, ran her hand through her hair and wondered if she had made the right decision to visit Ronnie.

"I can't quit, I need the money urgently." Putting emphasis on the urgently.

Alice, was grateful that she had managed to get a job that allowed her to work only during the weekends so she could balance both school and other activities. It wasn't the best paying job, most especially wasn't the most fun but it was better than nothing.

Alice stood up and, picked up her bag that was on Ronnie's bed.

"Well, duty calls Princess."

"It's about time you left but, bring back popcorn once you're off duty." Veronica said, as she fondled with her phone.

Alice, stepped in front of a full mirror and looks briefly at her reflection  She wore a plaid red top with a cute bow just at the back, paired with stoned, dark shots. Her platforms, were the highlight of her outfit as it raised her height and, made her look fierce.

"Ronnie, should I put my hair in a bun?"

Ronnie, looked up briefly to inspect Alice before she shook her head in disagreement. "Don't, I think it'll spoil the aesthetic of today. Try a pony tail instead."

"Wise words from the best." Alice said, as she got busy trying to fix her hair.

"Ali, I get the fact that you always have to look good but I don't get why it is an essential factor in your job and you could get fired for that? You basically just make popcorn for an amusement park that no one visits." Ronnie scoffed in utter disbelief.

"It's cotton candy."

"What? Wasn't it popcorn last week? I could have sworn that it was."

"Silly, I was in charge of making popcorn until the cotton candy guy quit."

"So this is an upgrade?"

Alice shrugged, choosing to ignore her sarcastic taunts.

"Call it whatever but, I get paid everytime just to look cute and do nothing. Who wouldn't be happy?" Alice waved at her as she made her way to the door. "Well I'll be off now, wish me luck!"

"Good luck baby, you'll need it."

***
Alice sighed for the millionth  time, as she bit her fingernails trying to distract herself from the fact that she was beyond bored.

Was this job always boring?

"I should be grateful that there are barely any customers." Alice muttered as she looked at the cotton candy machine that had only been turned on once since she has started her shift, and that was when she had decided to treat herself.