Chapter 22: Edge of Collapse

Ryujin's POV:

Some hours had passed since Hyunjin's mother had left. I sat outside the room where Hyunjin was being treated, unable to shake the heavy thoughts that lingered. The hospital air was thick with tension, and my mind kept replaying fragments of the conversation she had with Hyunjin.

I tried distracting myself by scrolling through my phone, but it didn't help much. Then, a message notification popped up. It was from Niki, Hyunjin's younger brother. I felt a pang of worry. He had no clue about what had happened, and I knew telling him over text was out of the question. The thought of sending a message like, "Hey, your mother, who you thought was dead, is alive," seemed ridiculous and far too cruel. He might faint or have a breakdown-no, it wasn't the right time to tell him anything.

Before I could dwell on it further, another message from Niki came through.

Riki 🐆

Ryu, the mission is done, but I think I messed up.

My heart skipped a beat. I quickly typed back.

How?

I think my necklace dropped there.

I stared at the screen, my stomach twisting. A lost necklace at the scene could tie us directly to the mission. This was bad-really bad. I stood up, pacing the hallway, trying to figure out how to fix this before it was too late.

Stay calm. Where did you lose it? Do you remember the exact location?

The seconds dragged on, each one amplifying my anxiety. My mind raced with scenarios of what could happen if the necklace was discovered. It would unravel everything, and we'd be exposed. I couldn't let that happen.

Finally, his reply came.

Near the back exit. I only noticed it was gone when I got back.

I'll handle it. Stay put and don't draw any attention to yourself. I'll let you know when it's safe.

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to stay composed. There was no time to waste, but I couldn't afford to be reckless either. The police would be combing through the scene soon-if they weren't already.

Sliding my phone back into my pocket, I felt the weight of the situation pressing down on me. This wasn't just about the mission; it was about protecting Hyunjin and everything we'd worked for. I couldn't let this be the thing that brought it all crashing down.

I started thinking about the moment I first saw Hyunjin and Niki, that's the only time I had since them so vulnerable.

I was about to leave to get the necklace but then a doctor told me that Hyunjin is waking up..

I froze in my tracks as the doctor's words echoed in my ears-Hyunjin was awake. For a split second, I didn't know what to do. The panic that had been driving me to act was now battling with the overwhelming relief that he was conscious. But it also brought a new wave of worry. What would he remember? Would he even know what had happened?

I turned back, my eyes locked on the door to his room. I couldn't just leave now. Not when he might need me. But the urgency of the necklace loomed large in my mind. If I didn't retrieve it, everything we'd fought for could be destroyed.

Taking a deep breath, I made a decision. I would check on him, make sure he was okay, and then I'd deal with the necklace. I had to balance both, even if it tore me apart.

Pushing open the door, I stepped inside. Hyunjin was lying on the bed, looking groggy but alert. His eyes found mine, and I saw a flicker of recognition. Relief flooded through me, but I quickly pushed it aside, focusing on what I needed to do.