Echoes of the Past

Clay clenched his jaw, shutting his eyes tightly as Jude's words pierced him. After a deep sigh, he opened his eyes, his frustration boiling over. "You dumbass... you're seriously trying to pull this 'you're a burden' crap on me?" His voice was strained, filled with both irritation and hurt. He grabbed Jude's chin firmly, forcing him to meet his gaze. "Let me decide that for myself. Stop trying to push me away. You need to get it together, Jude. And you need to stop putting yourself down so damn much."

Jude's eyes were downcast, his voice barely a whisper. "I can't help it... I was raised this way."

Clay let out a heavy sigh, his frustration mingling with deep concern. "That's the most bullshit excuse I've ever heard," he said sharply, his grip tightening on Jude's chin. "You have to at least try to stop that. I'm sick of you beating yourself up like this."

Jude's voice wavered as he spoke, barely above a murmur. "Beatings... I would get them when I didn't do what my older brother told me, when our parents were out of the house..."

Clay's eyes widened in shock. "What...?" he said, his voice dropping to a fearful whisper. "What did you just say?"

Jude nodded slowly, his voice trembling. "He has... broken me once."

The revelation left Clay reeling. A mix of anger, sadness, and disgust churned in his stomach. He stared at Jude, his grip loosening slightly as he tried to process the gravity of what he had just heard. "Your brother... he abused you?" His voice was almost a whisper, filled with raw pain.

Jude's eyes were filled with a deep, haunting sadness as he nodded. "He did... bad things. Very bad things..."

Clay's heart ached with a profound sorrow as he absorbed Jude's confession. He felt a wave of protectiveness and a fierce desire to shield him from the world's cruelty. "I'm so sorry..." he whispered, his voice trembling. "I had no idea... I'm here for you, okay? I'm not going anywhere. We'll face this together. I promise." He pulled Jude into a tight embrace, holding him close, hoping to offer some comfort and reassurance amid the storm of emotions.