Fragile Soul

Jude's words hung heavy in the air, his gaze fixed downward as he quietly wrote. "I'm nobody in this house, Clay. Just a good kid that does what he's asked."

Clay's heart ached at hearing Jude speak so dismissively about himself, his fists clenching involuntarily. "You're not nobody, dammit. You're more than that..." he said, his voice a mix of firmness and tenderness, the anger and sadness in his expression reflecting the pain he felt at seeing Jude undervalue himself.

-

Days flew into weeks, with Clay and Jude spending most of their time together, both during and after school. Despite the growing closeness between them, the troubles at Jude's home persisted, with his mom continuing to impose her will without regard for his feelings. Clay found himself increasingly protective of Jude, his frustration with the situation growing alongside his feelings for him. His affection deepened each day, and he began to realize the intensity of his emotions.

One night, as Jude slept peacefully on Clay's bed, Clay lay awake, his mind restless. He watched Jude with a mixture of admiration and tenderness, noting how deeply he slept whenever he was in Clay's room. The sight of Jude's serene expression brought a sense of comfort and contentment that Clay had come to cherish.

Clay turned onto his side to face Jude, his gaze softening as he took in the peaceful rise and fall of Jude's chest with each breath. He noticed the gentle way Jude's features relaxed in sleep, the delicate flutter of his eyelashes as he dreamed. Unable to resist, Clay reached out and carefully tucked a strand of Jude's hair behind his ear, his touch tender and affectionate. The gesture was a silent testament to the depth of his feelings, a small yet significant expression of the love that had quietly grown within him.