Whispers of Trouble

Clay stared at Jude silently, feeling a growing concern as the other boy remained quiet. He continued to rub the back of Jude's hand softly, his tone gentle. "You don't need to hurt yourself, idiot. You are enough. Hell, you probably are more than enough. You're... more than enough for me, that's for sure," he said, his voice becoming softer with each word.

Clay's worry deepened as Jude stayed silent for a long moment. He held Jude's hand and gently flicked his forehead with his free hand. "Hey." he said, trying to break through the silence.

Jude blinked, looking up. "What?"

Clay chuckled softly, noticing the change in Jude's demeanour. "Just checking if you were still alive. You've been quiet for a while there, what, I lost you for a second?" he teased lightly.

Jude's eyes softened as he responded, "You actually listen."

Clay raised an eyebrow. "Of course I listen, idiot." His tone was softer again. "Why wouldn't I listen to you?"

Jude hesitated, then said, "Because... I'm not someone who should be listened to."

Clay scoffed, giving Jude's hand a reassuring squeeze. "And what makes you think that? I know you like to self-deprecate a lot, but don't you think that's a bit much?" he asked, his gaze fixed on Jude.

Jude looked down. "I am just speaking from experience. Why give me attention?"

"Because I give a damn about you," Clay said bluntly, his voice firm but caring. "You're one of the most important things in my life. That's why I give you attention, and I'll probably keep giving you attention for a long time. It's gonna take a lot to make me stop caring about you, dipshit." He tightened his grip on Jude's hand, his eyes full of sincerity.