05 : stick switch

CHAPTER FIVE ; COULDN'T EVEN THINK OF YOUR OWN PLAY? PATHETIC

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck!" Sowon cursed, throwing the bag against her locker. The other girls stared at her, coming to comfort her distress. With a few overlayed inquiries, Sowon held her head, eyes widening. "I can't find my hockey bag! It got switched with someone else's, and these are—!"

She pulled out a pair of swim trunks with two fingers, reigning disgusted gags and high-pitched screaming in the locker room. Sowon dropped them back in the bag, groaning in her palms. "God. First I momentarily lose my bag, then I'm given someone else's?! Could this get any worse?!"

"It could be worse," Narae agreed, but that wasn't enough to cool her ferocious friend. It actually made her glare at Narae, nails digging into her palms. "Oh come on, Sowon! We're a team for a reason! Someone get us a spare jersey, shoulder pads that fit her width, a pair of skates that are size eight, knee pads, a stick, and some breezers, please!"

The team scattered, looking for those exact items. Sowon continued to remain stoic, unable to contain her frustration. "Come on, Ryu," Narae used her alias, hoping to set her into her hockey mindset. "Once we're in the game, just forget about it."

"I just don't have my skates or my stick, Narae. It'll feel so unnatural!" Sowon whined, brushing back her sweaty hair. Each accessory appeared on the bench, not bearing to get the Captain mad by interrupting their conversation. "Do you think I'll even play well? This is the first major league game, and—!"

"Hey," Narae reassured her with a simple word, engulfing her in a short hug. "The best players are good at adjusting. I have faith in your ability to do well even without your skates—although, those things are worn out!—and stick."

Sowon smiled softly, feeling a little better. "Alright. Thanks, Narae. Let me change, and let's get out there."

So, switching into Naoi Rei, their substitute's jersey, as well as borrowing equipment from the rest of the team, Sowon and her team got on the ice. Coach Na patted each of her students, hoping that good luck would spread to the ice.