Chapter Nineteen: The Promise

Lotus began to drift off into a dream that was often revisited. It was the times back in the Neutral Grounds with her brother, Match and his family. Tonight it was just the same as reliving a long lost memory about all the time she spent with her brother.

      Lotus woke up right as the sun began to make its way up in the sky. She was preparing breakfast and a lunch for Yasha. He was still asleep. Once finished she washed her face and put her hair up in a ponytail. Eating breakfast Yasha came down stairs full of energy, smiling brightly. He was such a happy child that looked at the brighter sides of things. When their mother died Lotus feared that he would never reveal that side of him again. Now that he was thirteen he had grown up quite a bit. Yasha had begun to mention becoming a doctor once this war was over.

    “All right Yasha you better finish eating,” said Lotus looking at the time. “I’ve got to work and you need to go to school.”

    “Why don’t you go to school anymore?” asked Yasha putting away the dishes.

    “Because I have to work,” replied Lotus. “You’ll understand when you’re my age. Now remember your lunch. I’ll see you after school.”

    “See you later, sis.”

   Yasha walked out the door towards school. One of Yasha’s friends followed right behind him. At school the young boy had lots of friends that liked and respected him. In this school there was also a man that the young boy liked and respected as well. It was his teacher Mr. Jake Hama. This teacher was the one that inspired him to become a doctor and work hard for it. He told the students about the hardship of war and that no good could come from it.

     During lunch Yasha always sat by himself. It wasn’t that he wasn’t anti-social it was just that he felt like being alone. One of Yasha’s friends sat beside him. He was an odd fellow. His name was Tox. He had black hair with white tips on the end. Tox was one the only demon child that went to this school. He was a nice kid with nothing to lose. The only reason he went to this school was because his parents were poor. He liked spending time with Yasha because he felt like they had a lot in common. They both wanted to become doctors and they had family that they wanted to help. They were best friends and that was something special. Both also liked Mr. Hama, the teacher, because he was the one that inspired them to become doctors. The one reason why they were friends was because they understood the value of life.

     While sitting under the tree next to the school, Tox looked over at Yasha to see what he had for lunch.

    “What did your stunning sister make today?” asked Tox sitting beside him. “Your sister is a good cook.”

    “She made me a sandwich with some carrots and an apple,” replied Yasha. “Oh and water to drink.”

   “Ah what would it be like to have a sister like that? Yasha you are lucky!”

  “I’m not that lucky,” said Yasha staring at his lunch. “My sister has sacrificed so much. I just want one day where I can be her savoir.”

    “Yasha you are too nice,” said Tox looking at the sky. “Well let’s go back for another interesting lesson from the wonderful Mr. Hama.”

    The boy followed his friend back inside where others waited for their return. After school Yasha went to the blacksmith’s shop to see Lotus. She was making tools for the farmers around the area. She was covered in sweat from working there. Tox was looking at some of the weapons that were made. Lotus looked to see them in the shop.