Chapter Twenty-four: Reckless

The sword did not cut Lotus like she though; instead it only gave her a small scratch. Setsuko couldn’t believe his eyes at what just happened. Ryker, a demon that he might not have ever seen before tried to attack him, or the fact that a half-breed like Lotus came in front of them to save his life. Another pair of footsteps was coming near them as they stood still. Natasha was running to them because she saw what was happening. They weren’t that far away from her house. At that moment it felt like everything was falling apart. Setsuko would find out who she was and Ryker is angry. Now if he wasn’t going to kill her, Natasha would. Lotus stood up to see that she was upset about something. Tears were running down her cheeks. Lotus thought that she might be sad about the sword almost slicing through her body.

       “Lotus, who are they?” asked Natasha running to them.

      Staring at Setsuko’s face she turned around to face her friend. “Just some people I’ve met on my travels.”

      “What kind of people attacks a friend?” the girl asked coming to Ryker. “I demand you give your name immediately.”

      “Ryker,” said the demon. “The boy over there is Setsuko. There was just a misunderstanding. No need to worry.”

      She slapped him so hard that a red mark still remained. “There is a need to worry,” said Natasha. “Where did you two learn your manners? Setsuko was it? You don’t know her name right?”

      “Isn’t it Ran?” he asked still unsure about what was going on.

     “You need to learn her real name. Ran was the name of her mother.”

     Oh loud mouth Natasha, why did you say that? Thought the half-breed staring at them. “Listen, they meant no harm. Please go back. I’ll handle it.”

     “Fine!” Natasha said staring at Ryker. She left the three alone, but she wasn’t too far off. She would come back if there was any trouble between them. Setsuko came up to Lotus. He looked so young like Yasha, but he wasn’t him at all. Just another youth effected by the war. Not even a demon child like him, who was born in safety, knew what true peace was.

     “Why did you lie to me?” asked Setsuko. “Was it because you didn’t know that you could trust me? Then I understand. Also how did you know my name?”

     Looking at this boy in the eyes she hugged him. “I’m sorry,” said Lotus. “In times of war you don’t know who you can trust.”

     “I only know your name because of your mother,” Ryker said casually. “Your eyes are like hers.”

     Ryker turned around, looking around the area so that they could find place more privet so they could talk. He took them to an old building that had dust and cobwebs all over it. Setsuko began giving his side of the story right away. How he wouldn’t reveal anything about them. If there was one thing Lotus had learned about Ryker was that he had endless knowledge on the Generals. While he was listening to Setsuko he had a stone cold expression to his face. He, like every other demon from Ryoku. However they grew up knowing each other a little. Before Setsuko was old enough he would watch him train with Than. But soon he began to travel with his mother.

     Lotus knew nothing of his past or the people he knew. Yes his father was a General and his mother was a beautiful woman, but this girl felt the same way. Now this girl knew that her father as a General. However there was no more to Ryker’s past she knew of. How well was he with a gun? How did this demon end up in the Ruins? No one knew Ryker well enough, except Jiro.

      Setsuko decided to leave after his story was done and said. Before he left he looked at the two of them. “I won’t tell anyone. Trust me. And if you need any help, I have problem joining the human’s side.”