Chapter Twent-one: Protection

Lotus stood in front of Nina just as the demon took out her whip. Both the half-breed and the demon had a staring contest, looking directly in each other’s eyes. Each of them knew that either of them wouldn’t make a move. Sun hung onto her sister out of fear. Nao lightened her serious expression when she realized that this human servant was going to move. Lotus was not showing any fear or intimidation. If those emotions were to show through it would result in pain. The demon wrapped up her whip, laughing a little bit. Never in all her life had she met a human like her. During the heat of battle most humans stood their ground against her, but in terms of hiding their fear in their eyes each of them lacked that. This demon was also not known to be merciful. She was a very strong and well built up woman. Broad shoulders, with a stern look to her face. She had short blonde hair and wore black pants, brown boots, and a long sleeved red shirt.

    This woman, for one reason or another, did show a little mercy towards Lotus. What could be any different? It was because she didn’t show any fear towards the demon. Knowing full well that she might have received that whip to her face, Lotus stood in front of the human servant. That was the only reason why the whip did not hit Lotus.

     Hana was a bit confused by all of this. She and Nao had been friends since they were little children and knew how each of them worked together. Picking herself up, the red haired woman came up to Lotus and stared into her eyes. Of course Lotus was a little scared of Hana. She tried to kill her and failed. However she did not know that the assassination attempt was a fail, but the demon could recognize her. Hana turned around to her friend.

     “You are such a softy,” said Hana running her hand through her hair. “You could have just as easily whipped her instead of the other one.”

    “Just didn’t feel like it,” said Nao taking her seat. “The humans are free to go. Just learn your lesson that you aren’t to spill anymore tea on demons.”

     Lotus shook her head while taking the two girl’s hands, walking away from the Generals. Comforting the girls about the experience they just had. Sun was shaking about the whole ordeal. Nina was becoming less shaking, but still terrified by it. While making tea for them, Lotus realized that these Ruins girls don’t know how to deal with demons. Their entire of lives they had been taught not to mess with demons, not to disobey them. Neither of them had ever seen blood shed that she had experienced. These girls didn’t even know how cold hearted war could be. Just a few months ago they were swept away from their happy little life to a place that they have no idea about. They didn’t know how to fight. What am I going to do with them? Lotus thought bringing their tea to them.

    After a day’s work was over and done with all the servants went to bed. The two sisters shared a bed that night. Lotus looked at how Nina held Sun close to her. It reminded the half-breed of that painful year their beloved mother died. Every night from the funeral, Yasha would curl up in bed with his sister because of nightmares he had. He was like a little kitten, always looking at her with those large eyes of his. It was painful that first year. All the money and food issues that came with the raising of two kids. Lotus refused anyone to help her out. She would feel like she would have owed them something in return, and this girl could not do that. Lotus even believed that word would spread about her mother’s death and her father would come back home. That year was the time when Lotus didn’t have illusions about a father. He was gone out of her life. It was also during that year that Yasha fell terribly ill that she thought that another family member would be lost. Everything about him being sick constantly filled her with fear of losing him. All that mattered was that I some way she would have Yasha survive through this illness.

      The next morning Lotus stayed by the girl’s side. Nina and Sun followed her everywhere, even down to the prison cells. When they came down to Kione’s cell, the girls stayed back while Lotus delivered his food.