Chapter Twenty-three: Failure

A sound of a horn ringing woke her up from the sleep she was so deep in. Realizing that they were just resting to stretch out their legs. They had been easily driving for ten hours straight since it was so late in the afternoon. Watching them leave one after another outside to get some fresh air. So far everything was going as planned. No one knew that she was in there, but that didn’t mean anything. Failure could come from one little mistake. Still for the time being it was safe to be out. Stretching her legs she looked out the window. The demons out there were joking around while eating some snacks. Taking out a little bread she had taken out of her bag she ate.

    Soon a boy began walking back to the armored car. Lotus hid back in her spot. Staring at this boy he seemed a little younger than Yasha. He had chestnut brown hair and icy blue eyes. He leaned back, closing his eyes. He was rather nice to look at. But before he could relax demons began to file back into the armored car. Break time was now over. The demons began to tease on this little chestnut haired boy for some reason. One woman among the men there said, “Just because you are her son doesn’t mean you’ll get any special treatment.” However he didn’t seemed bother by this comment. He seemed like he was use to hearing words like these before.

       It soon became night and the demons went outside to camp. The chestnut haired boy stayed in the car. Wrapping himself in a black he fell asleep on the seat that was across from her. Lotus felt like she could sleep with him in her. Closing her eyes she thought it would be a peaceful night. However that did not become the case. A little yelp from the boy woke her up. Quickly jumping into action she grabbed his mouth so that he wouldn’t say anything. The two looked deep in each other eyes. The blue eyes met with the red ones. He had never seen red eyes like these on any human or demon. The same could be said about Lotus. She had never seen such cool blue eyes before I her life.

     “He took hold of her hand, pulling it down from his mouth. “I won’t tell anyone,” whispered the demon to Lotus. “Promise. I just didn’t expect to see a girl like you hiding here. I thought I would be able to be alone in here. Why are you in here anyways? Are you a stow-away? Are you assigned to kill someone? Don’t kill my mother.”

     “I’m not assigned to kill anyone,” said the girl placing her hand down. “I don’t even know who your mother is.”

      “Kaze Fair,” said the boy. “My name is Setsuko Fair. May I ask what your name is?”

      Lotus knew that her real identity couldn’t be revealed to him. There was no way that she could trust him. “My name is Ran. Nice to meet.”

     “Nice meeting you as well,” said Setsuko smiling. I would like to keep talking with you, but I’m tired. We both better get some rest. Good night.” He got wrapped in the blanket again. He looked at the girl hiding underneath the seat across from him. He smiled at her. “Don’t worry, I won’t let anyone know where you are.”

    He closed his eyes. He almost looked like Yasha sleeping soundly. But there was a difference. His mother was Kaze Fair who was ranked sixth high in Generals. The reason for that is that in the early years of the war she would be smart about her attacks. It was in the Battle of Snow was when she earned her nickname of Demon Fire. The human army out numbered her group and they were surrounding them. Knowing full well that they had oil she poured it around them on the ground. Once most of the humans were close enough she took out a torch and lit the oil. It either killed the human instantly or made them suffer. Either way her group was able to escape from them and win this battle. However this Setsuko kid seemed more relaxed and less war grazed than his mother. Yet someone’s personality could be completely different on the battlefield than in person.