Chapter Two: Decsision

Sleeping soundly in his room, Ryker was dreaming.

     What was in his dream is something terrifying. Dead bodies surrounded Ryker. He himself was covered in the blood of those people surrounding him, with only his green eyes still shinning bright. A man with a black kimono came forward to the boy. This man had no face at all, just black covering it. Suddenly he smiled showing bright white teeth. He reached out his hand to blood covered Ryker. “Rye, come back where you belong,” said the strange man. Approaching the man, Ryker backed away. Turning around he ran away hoping to wake up from this nightmare. He didn’t wake up until he hit the floor. Stumbling to get to on his feet, Lotus came rushing in to assist. Grabbing his arm they both sat on his bed. Sweat was coming off of Ryker. It must have been a terrifying dream.

    “Are you alright?” asked Lotus hoping he might calm down a little bit. “I heard you yelling, so I came to check in on you.”

     Releasing his arm from the grasp of Lotus he rubbed his eyes. “I’m fine. Just had a nightmare.”

    “What kind of nightmare was it?” Lotus asked.

    “I don’t want to talk about it,” he replied coldly. Was this dream really that bad that he could tell his friend? “I’ve had this nightmare more than once.”

     “Figured that,” admitted the girl. “I’ve heard you yell in your sleep before, but Jiro always came in before me. You know, we’ve known each other for a year now. You can trust me.”

     A strange dark laugh came from Ryker. “But you can’t trust me,” said Ryker. “Now let’s just go back to bed.”

    Lotus went back to her bed, thinking about what he said. What did he mean by those words, but you can’t trust me? Of course she could trust him. Why couldn’t she? What was he hiding? What wasn’t he telling her?

    Once the sun finally raised it lit the blood red sky like the day before that. The suns arrival signaled all the people living the Ruins to trade and sell goods. Children were up running around without a care in the world, but in reality they all knew different. Even though this is a new day nothing changed. Lotus was up early that morning reading a book waiting for Jiro to come down. She thought it was odd that he never came down to check on Ryker. Ever since a year ago he would check on Ryker whenever he screamed like that. Jiro soon came down, going straight into Ryker’s room locking the door behind him. Clearly he didn’t want a certain girl to go inside the room for some odd reason. Lotus decided to do some shopping for the house since it seemed so barren for food. Walking out the door, Clover who was in the living room area with Lotus noticed she was leaving. Standing up she followed the girl out of the house.

    It was hard to believe a year ago since she came to the Ruins that they taught her a special saying. It was Ryker that told her about it first, but it wasn’t until she got here was when Lotus learned the true meaning. In the Ruins the saying is If there is no money, trade. If there is nothing to trade, steal. It wasn’t a pleasant saying, but people lived by it. However they were lucky enough not to steal from one another. That is why there was always something to trade for. Down the streets of the Ruins market place was bustling with people. The children helping out people unload their homegrown goods in return for food. Approaching a little trade stand there stood a girl with brown eyes and hair. Nothing really special about her, but Lotus knew her very well. This girls name was Jewel and she had lost both of her parents during the war, so the family stand fell down on her. Over the past year Lotus and her grew close to each other. However nothing to compare to how close she and Ryker are. Nothing can come close to that.

     After talking with the girl for a while and getting what groceries she needs Lotus left. It was nice to get out of the house every once and while. Walking down to her house the warriors that were fighting came walking down. Standing to the side with Clover, she watched them march on with such agony. Wounds covered almost every one of their weak bodies. It wasn’t like there were any attacks today; it’s just that they are still recovering. On one of the men’s back was a boy about Yasha’s age. He was asleep, but you could see that he lost his leg due to war. On top of that he was wounded beyond repair. His life will never be the same that is why Lotus mourned for this boy. After they pasted by her Lotus came inside the house. Jiro was sharpening Ryker’s sword and her fans outside of the house. Coming inside the house there was an unsteady stillness about it. The young Ryker Hail was nowhere in sight. Setting the groceries down on a table she walked into Ryker’s room. There he was looking at an old picture. The woman in this picture was beautiful wearing a red kimono, with gold flowers; red flowers were in her raven black hair as well. She had light purple eyes, which added to her beauty. Sneaking in right beside him, the boy suddenly jumped up in shock that Lotus was in his room. Taking a few moments of stillness he placed the picture in a box. Lotus wanted to know whom the woman in the picture was.