Chapter 8: You Have Arrive with No Time to Run

Charlie's POV

"I wish I didn't have to leave." I tell him as we're walking to my house. "I've missed you so much and these last three weeks have just been hell and-" I stop myself and take a deep breath. "The point is, I just wish she'd let me stay over for a few more hours. I mean, it's not like it's my curfew yet."

"I know, but she's just looking out for you. Did you tell her you were coming over?" He asks. I look down.

"No, I forgot to." I mumble.

"Just explain that to her. I'm sure she'd understand."

"She isn't like your mom, Nick. She doesn't like hearing excuses or anything like that. She's constantly angry with me and it feels like no matter how hard I try, nothing is ever going to be good enough for her."

"I'm sure that's not true. She loves you and so does your dad and Tori." He says as we approach my driveway.

"I guess you're right. I love you."

"I love you too." I give him a quick kiss before going to walk away, but he grabs my hand, stopping me. "Hey, if anything bad does happen, please don't hesitate to call me. I'm here for you, Charlie."

"I know. Thank you." I go to kiss him again, but just as our lips are about to touch, I hear someone clear their throat.

"Charlie, inside. Now." I turn to see my mom standing in the doorway. I look back at Nick and he gives me a small nod before I turn and walk away from him. When I step into the house, my mom shuts the door behind me.

"You couldn't have-"

"Why did you skip your last three classes today?" She asks, cutting me off.

"I had some summer homework I didn't finish and I needed to finish it." I lie.

"Oh, the summer homework you didn't do because you were hanging out with Nick the whole time?"

"We were trying to spend time together before he left."

"Okay, but that doesn't mean you blow off school for him. Charlie, this is the same reason we banned you from seeing him last term."

"It's the start of term, you're acting like I'm failing all of my classes! School literally just started back up and you're already down my throat about it!"

"Do not raise your voice at me. I'm trying to help you see that your life can't revolve around your boyfriend. You need to have other things in your life other than Nick."

"I do have other things to do. I have friends, I have a life outside of Nick."

"Oh really, then why is it that when he was gone for three weeks, did you only leave the house once to see your friends?"

"Because everyone else has lives too! God, you make everything into a bigger deal than what it needs to be!" I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, but I'm too angry to care about who it is. "It's not a crime for me to want to hang out with Nick, especially when I haven't seen him in three weeks."

"You also forgot to mention you were going over to his house. You said you would."

"I know, I'm a failure and a horrible son! Everyone would just be better off without me!" I storm upstairs, quickly going past Tori on my way up. When I get to my room, I slam my door, hot tears running fast down my face. I lock the door and step back, feeling panic set in.

My breathing starts getting faster and faster and I pace around my room. I throw my bag to the ground and run my hands through my hair. I try to calm myself down by thinking of Nick, but nothing's working. I know the only thing that'll calm me down in this state.