8

*Shadow's POV*
Sage woke me up when she started crying. I panicked and sat up in a rush, immediately looking in her direction. I sighed and tried to calm down my heartbeat as I walked towards her and picked her up.

I knew Sonic had a bag somewhere here with her bottle. I looked around until I finally spotted it and grabbed the already made bottle, then started feeding her. It was strange, carrying a baby, I'd never done that before, but I didn't mind it.

Sage was cute and always happy. She was brave and very cheerful and calm. I liked it when I was around her, but I rarely held her unless she was just given to me when we were out as a group. I did not like how soft she made me feel around the others, but I loved having her around. I immediately knew why Faker was so attached to her. She was perfect.

And if I have anything to say about it, she was going to grow up happy and protected. She will never endure pain as long as I am around.

"You're a pain." I mumbled to her as she responded with a quiet giggle, then wrapped her small fingers around my thumb and kept drinking.

I couldn't help but laugh softly at her and just stare at how cute she was. I wanted to always be around her, I wanted to keep her safe. She absolutely broke down my wall and made me fall in love with her. Why were the others trying to get rid of her?

"So cute." I chuckled and put the bottle down when she finished. Faker had changed her into a light pink dress that complimented her fur color. He had been taking care of her so well.

"Is everything okay?" I looked at the door as I heard Faker walk in. I couldn't stop smiling anymore, thanks to Sage.

I looked at Faker as he removed his mask and walked closer to us. Something in me seemed to shatter as I suddenly looked at him under a different light. He had been so good with Sage, keeping her safe, making sure she was healthy, well fed, her fur was even softer than when he first found her and she had gained a bit of weight compared to how skinny she was that day. She seemed very happy and seemed to love him so much and he loved her too.

"I'm sorry. Did you want me to take her so you can continue your nap?" He asked. He was worried about me. Why was I trying to push him away all the time? Why didn't I give him a chance to be my friend?

"No. It's fine." I answered and looked back down at Sage, who was reaching for Sonic.

"I promise I won't say a word." Sonic said as he crossed his heart and picked up Sage.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused as I stood up. I didn't want to give her away, but I let him take her.

"How much of a softie you really are. I don't think I've ever seen you smile." He poked my muzzle, I didn't even push him away this time. It felt calming and felt natural. He'd been doing stuff like this for as long as I remember anyway. There's no point in stopping him when he's always going to be this way.

"I guess so." I said, the only thing that could come out of my mouth at the moment. I couldn't stop looking at them at how happy the two of them seemed. "What happened?" I asked once I saw Sally at the door.

I started to feel as if something was wrong with me when I immediately looked back at him. My mind was stuck on him and Sage and just wanting to be around them. I felt calm for once in my life, yet my heart wouldn't stop pounding in my chest, I felt breathless and even somehow speechless. The way I view the world before was suddenly shattering just by looking at him.

*Sonic's POV*
Shadow seemed calm, which made it easier to calm myself down after the conversation I had with Tails and Sally in the hallway.

"Sally and I apologized to each other. We let our anger of what happened years ago get the best of us. So we made up and we are friends now. How it should have been all along." I explained, and he nodded, suddenly looking a bit worried when I passed Sage to Sally. "She's great with kids, dont worry."

"Am I able to leave now?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Sure. Sorry I dragged you into this. Thank you for helping, and you're always welcome to come by and get some rest here, Shadow." I felt someone push me slightly and turned to see my brother.

"Really take advantage. We will even get you your own room." Manic said as he wrapped an arm around me. "Are you single?"

"Have you no shame?" I saw Sonia come in and hit Manics head.

Shadow looked at us, I guess too stunned to even answer. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "I'm sorry. Manic is too straightforward."

"So are you." Shadow answered, then chaos controlled away.

"Was that your boyfriend?" Manic laughed, making me now be the one to hit his head. "Ouch! Stop that!" He rubbed the spot I smacked.

"No. And I don't have a crush on him either." I said only to see both Tails and Sally not even in the room.

"We didn't say he was." Sonia said with a smirk. "But now I'm interested. He's hot. He's mysterious. He's strong.  Looks like the jealous and protective type. Why don't you go for it."

"Because I don't like him!" That's a lie. "And Shadow doesn't like me! He barely tolerates me." That was true.

*****
A/N: This book may be short. Any guesses on what Sage's powers are?