Thirty One

"So what is it we're looking for exactly?" Reece asks confused.

They were walking up a rather large hill to a secluded house out in the middle of nowhere.

The cold was harsh on their skin despite the bundles of warm clothing they'd wrapped themselves in.

"Marjorie didn't specify she just said she had a feeling about this house." Charlotte replied slowly.

Reece hummed and it was quiet for a while.

"I wouldn't take them to be such good friends." Reece interjected softly after a moment.

Charlotte looked up and watched as Mia and Vivian talk animatedly to each other a few paces ahead.

Charlotte smiled slightly, "They're personalities match in a way."

Reece sighed, "I suppose you're right."

Charlotte stepped closer to him interlocking her arm with his, "Always am."

Vivian and Mia were already at the door waiting for them.

Charlotte let go of Reece who continued to walk, she stood still for a moment to take it in.

It was a large white house with dusted and cracked windows. It was rather beautiful despite the circumstances.

"You guys are so slow." Mia teased from a distance.

Reece stuck his tongue out at her before walking past her and through the door which was already slightly open.

Charlotte took several deep breaths before she approached Mia who was waiting patiently.

They entered slowly, to no one's surprise it was empty, there was no furniture and it unsettled her slightly.

"You said Marjorie had a 'feeling' about this place." Vivian asked skeptically.

"Yup, don't ask me why she's in charge." Mia retorted as she walked around, studying the room.

"Amelia." Charlotte warned softly before she started to explore the house herself.

She was observing one of the bottom floor rooms before she noticed something odd from the adjacent one.

She walked into it cautiously , a bookshelf was placed against the wall, the books covered in a blanket of cobwebs and dust.

She bent down and observed the floorboards in front of it, they were marked with scratches, she brushed her hand against them gently and cringed internally.

She wasn't able to decipher if it were human markings or something else.

She stood back up when something occurred to her, she used all the strength she could muster and threw herself into the side of it.

It took a few tries before it slid to the side with difficulty, she brushed herself off quickly before grabbing her torch and flicking it on.

She bookcase was actually a makeshift door, she moved her torch to the entrance it left and her eyes widened, it was a staircase downwards.

"Guys!" Charlotte called.

A couple of minutes passed until they were all behind her.

"Oh what the fuck." Reece said as he stared into the darkness.

"Good find babe!" Mia cheered, kissing her on the cheek.

Charlotte smiled slightly before sucking air through her teeth,  "So, who wants to go first?" She looked to Reece who shuffled back slightly.