Thirty Three

Mia embraced Charlotte in a hug, unaware of what was happening, she stiffened slightly when she realised how rigid Charlotte was.

Marjorie was looking over Charlotte from behind the redhead, "What's wrong my love, you're not hurt are you."

Charlotte swallowed hard, her eyes not leaving Reece's as he sadly shook his head, accepting his fate.

Mia pulled away from Charlotte, she and Marjorie both looked to Reece.

Their eyes locking on the bite mark that was  now bleeding profusely.

Charlotte heard Marjorie gasp faintly, as if a dying whisper, she walked towards him.

"No, no, no." She repeated faintly, she took her shaking hands and placed them on either side of his cheeks, bringing their heads together she began to sob.

Mia stood, afraid if she moved she would collapse, the world was blurring slightly around them.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." Reece mumbled as he tried to comfort his fiancé, running his hands through her hair as she shook against him.

Charlotte felt a sob rising in her throat, a sickening pit opening in her stomach.
But she'd done this before, she needed to stay as calm as she could manage.

Her brain turned to autopilot, she could grieve later.

She took Mia's hand and held it.

"This wasn't supposed to happen, this wasn't supposed to happen." Marjorie sobbed as she clung tightly to him.

"Walk with me?" Charlotte asked Mia gently, letting them have their goodbye in peace.

She guided Mia away who was still in shock.

Marjorie fell to the floor, Reece sat gently in front of her and wiped away her tears.

"Please don't leave me, please." Marjorie sobbed.

Reece turned his head slightly, "I'll never leave you darling, I'll always be with you, till death do us part." He whispered as he moved the hair from her eyes.

"What am I supposed to do, what am I supposed to do without you." She began to cry even harder.

"Everything, everything and everything, if there ever is a day where this is all over I want you to live like it's your last day, each and every day." He whispered, he moved his hand down to hers and began to rub it gently.

"How can you ask me that." She choked out.

"Because I love you." He replied softly.

She clutched her chest tightly, "I wanted to marry you." She whispered faintly.

He chuckled warmly, "Then we're married, we don't need a piece of paper to declare that."

Marjorie shook her head profusely, "I can't do this Reece, not without you."

He sighed sadly, "Yes you can, and when your time comes, in many years to come, I'll be waiting for you."

Marjorie fell into him, sobbing harder, she wrapped her arms around his neck and clung onto him, hoping this was a terrible nightmare that she would wake up from.

But it wasn't.

"I love you, I love you." She kept repeating over and over.

Reece looked up and watched Mia standing in front of them, her face frozen, he looked to Charlotte who was a couple of paces behind her.

"Let me say goodbye." Reece whispered into Marjorie's hair.

Marjorie was reluctant but she let go, Charlotte walked up to Marjorie and let the woman cry on her shoulder.