Chapter 19: Muse

The City, The Metropolitan Area

Natalia was running back and forth at Chocolate's offices, somewhat in a hurry.

-Jacob! Where did you leave Miss's favorite wine?

-Natalia, it's right on her desk. I told you I'd put it there.

-¡Carajo! Karadorde? The reports!

-You have them in your hand.

-¡Qué boba soy! Ugh!

-Natalia, why don't you calm down? It's not like the lady wants us to welcome her with all this fanfare.

-The lady needs to be cosseted! She's had a rather long and tiring business trip and I don't know how much trouble those two peladitas caused her while they were gone.

-I feel like you're exaggerating -Karadorde replies-.

-No I don't! Her car should arrive any minute and...!

But at that moment, Chocolate enters the office, giving Natalia a mini-heart attack.

-Miss Chocolate! B-but... When did you arrive?

-Natalia, I've been here for an hour –the Georgian smiled-.

-But why didn't you tell me?!

-I did.

-You just told me that you were on the plane! Aaaaaaaa-!

-Ha, ha! Yes, I was landing. Okay, calm down. I appreciate you taking the time to receive me –she said as she approached her bodyguards, who gave her a folder with reports, at the same time that Jacob served her a glass of wine-. How are things going?

-Well... it seems that things are getting ugly now in the borderlands of the City.

-Tell me more.

-The State Police are now patrolling the slums on the other side of the hill -Karadorde reports-. It's strange that they started acting like this after a member of the Nova Roma Staff got killed.

-Oh... he was from Nova Roma.

-I investigated with my contacts there, and he was no one that would be missed: his name was Lucio Magaña; everyone remembers him as a pain in the ass and as a liability because he kept the payments from bets and withheld the Payroll. This was because he was a compulsive gambler, just to recover the money lost with loan sharks -explains Natalia-. The last person he saw was Brandon Marti, I'm sure you remember him.

-Of course I remember him, and my sixth sense tells me that he had nothing to do with it.

-That's right; he was only there because that guy told him to meet him there. According to my informants, Lucio was going to finish paying off a debt, and it seems that he had just obtained the money from a loan shark. The strange thing is that right after that, they killed him.

-Anything that would put Brandon in danger?

-The State won't bother him on the instructions of our dear friend –Natalia reaffirms-. The problem will be if those who killed that guy want to do something to him.

-That would be messing with an ex-Nova Roma; a very dear member, who had a good friendship with Yamashita and Gracco. Maybe Neuman could do me a little favor.

-I must tell you that, judging by the number of cowboys that are loose in the City and its surroundings, they might not give a damn about anyone in Nova Roma –Karadorde replies-.

-That will help us to see who's shitting on our carpet; of course, at a high price. If I see Aurora sad because something happens to Brandon, even though they are no longer in a relationship, I won't appreciate very much. I might even become a little bit aggressive.