2

She was on a cliff. Literally hanging off the side of a cliff. Well, not so much hanging as in her hotel room, which happened to be on a cliff. On the side of a cliff. Which she felt like Scott might have told her about when they had chosen Santorini for their honeymoon. But still, she was on a cliff. A really amazing beautiful cliff overlooking the really blue ocean thousands of feet below her.

The view was amazing. She had lived in Seattle for years so it wasn't exactly easy for a view to impress her. Seattle was full of gorgeous views. But this one was nothing like the Seattle ones. It was breathtaking in a way that she couldn't have even really imagined. She was in awe. She was completely in awe of everything surrounding her. And lonely. More lonely than she had imagined being.

She hadn't expected this. She had landed in Santorini after a brief stop in Athens and had been blown away by the ocean, the cliffs, the volcanoes, the small white houses with blue windows and doors. The island was beautiful. And her hotel was...it was amazing. But after ten minutes in the honeymoon suite, she had realized something. She was alone. She was alone in this amazing place.

When they had picked it the travel agent had gone on and on about how it was the most romantic place in the world. Which at the time had sounded like a really good plan. But now she was here alone. She was alone in the most romantic place on earth and it sucked. She decided to be alone, she had ended it and it was right. But being here in this place entirely alone sucked.

And of course they had to pick the most romantic hotel they could find. So going for a swim at the swimming pool was out of the question, because there were couples. Everywhere. No one seemed to come to the village of Imerovigli or to this island by themselves for a relaxing vacation. They came because they were in love. They came because they were married. And it sucked.

She could have been married. She could have been married and maybe not in love but she could have at least not been alone. She figured she should probably be feeling something like regret right about now but she wasn't. She was happy that it was done, that her and Scott were done. She just wasn't happy that the bed was like a very large cloud and she had to sleep in it alone.

She had no idea what to do. It was early evening and there was a slight breeze from the ocean that interrupted the stifling Greek heat, and she had no idea what to do. Scott had joked that they wouldn't leave the hotel room. And even if they did, he knew Greek. He spoke Greek fluently. He had tried to teach her, but she had rolled her eyes and avoided it. Which probably should have been her first sign that things weren't working out.

Of course she hadn't seen it coming at all. She had been thinking she was happy and in love and ready to be married but now it was over. And she was in a country that she didn't know a word of the language. She could go to the beach but everyone else would be with someone, cuddling on blankets, putting sunscreen on each other and she'd be stuck reading a medical journal.

This had been stupid. She should have given the tickets to Izzie and Mark and stayed home to cut. That would have made sense. But Scott had told her to take the tickets and go to Greece. Which had sounded like a brilliant plan. Two weeks in the sun and by an ocean sounded great. It sounded relaxing. It sounded like the perfect plan to wrap her mind around everything. Stupid. She was stupid.

Going to the most romantic spot on earth to get her head around a break up had probably been stupid. She wasn't sure exactly why no one had told her that. She had told her friends that she was going and they all had smiled and told her to have fun. Even Cristina had acted like it was a good idea. She needed new friends. If she knew the language she'd go and make new friends here.

There had to be something to do. She was in Greece. She was on vacation, which hadn't happened in...she didn't actually want to think about the last time she had been on vacation. Or maybe she just couldn't remember it. She was a surgical fellow, the past several years of her life had been dedicated to surgery, not to vacation. And now she was on vacation. And she was bored and lonely.