44

Tonight was already shaping up to be better. He had steaks grilling, potatoes baking, and a salad already made. He had picked up a bottle of wine on his way home from work. Everything was ready, and he couldn't help but whistle. It wasn't perfect. It was by no means perfect. Derek was pretty sure his sisters would kill him if they ever found out his first date with the love of his life was this simple.

But this felt kind of perfect, at least them perfect or something. He didn't want to put on a suit and go to a nice restaurant and try to make some wierd awkward conversation with the woman that knew him better than anyone else ever had. He wanted something simple. He wanted to just relax tonight and be them. Or well them on a date, their non-first first date.

He was still operating under the belief the first date had never happened. They had been too happy lately to ever have gone through that hell. They were them again, and tonight felt more like them than the first date that had never happened. And he was pretty sure he hadn't been this excited about a date since junior high. Which made him wonder why his stomach wasn't turning.

It had definitely hurt in junior high. Before every date it had tied up in a huge knot and he had been miserable leading up to it. But tonight it was fine. He should probably be nervous. Considering how wrong everything had gone the first time they had tried he definitely had a reason to be nervous. And there was the entire final first date thing but that was fine. Because this was going to work.

This was them. This date was them. She loved the trailer, she loved the land. It made sense for them to be here. This was going to work. He firmly believed that. This was going to work and nothing could make this date worse than the first one that had never happened. He poured a glass of wine and grinned as the headlights from her car lit up the trailer.

"Hey," he murmured, as he stepped out of the trailer, watching as Meredith climbed out of the car, Pip following closely behind her.

"Hey," she smiled. "Go ahead, Pip. Go say hi to Jake."

"You look amazing," he smiled, walking over to kiss her quickly.

"I'm wearing jeans and a sweater, Der," she rolled her eyes and then giggled. "I'm actually doing the Dereky thing, aren't I?"

"You are," he laughed softly. "I like it."

"You look good too," she smiled widely.

"Thank you," he sighed. "Supper is nearly ready."

"It's not lamb, right?"

"No," he laughed. "Steak."

"Steak is good," she grinned, watching as Jake and Pip wrestled with each other.

"I know you like it," he smiled. "I picked up some wine on the way home. And a couple of movies."

"Sounds...not perfect," she murmured. "Am I...do we kiss before the date's actually started or...?"

"Mer, tonight we do whatever we want."

"Good," she whispered, leaning forward and kissing him.

"Hmmm..." he murmured against her lips. "Want to eat out here? Or inside?"

"Out here," she breathed. "Definitely out here."

"That's what I was thinking," he nodded. "Let me just go inside and get the food."

"Do you need help?"

"I think I'm good," he smiled. "Sit down and take it easy. How are the ribs?"

"They're fine, Der," she smiled. "I only took two Tylenol today."