31

She hated slow days. Actually, Meredith loved slow days. Slow days were probably good, and they basically guaranteed that she and Derek would get out of here early enough to take the dogs for a walk on his land and then watch crappy TV or something. It was supposed to be her anniversary, and she had thought she would want cutting today, but she felt good. She actually felt really good.

She was happy. She was really happy. She hadn't really felt like rolling out of bed this morning but then Derek had been knocking on her door, yelling something about coffee and something sweet and sugary. It had been a nice way to wake up and the rest of the day had just followed. Everything had been nice. It wasn't actually bugging her that today was supposed to be something else.

But still...surgery wouldn't hurt. That was a terrible thing to think. Really awful and she was probably the world's worst person. People were healthy, it was generally a good thing. Well, most people. The patient she had been assigned to was not healthy, and he needed brain surgery, which was definitely a good thing. Or a bad thing for him, good thing for her and Derek.

She just had to find him first. Because she couldn't do anything without talking to him first. Which felt sad and pathetic. Today was definitely one of those days where it felt odd to call your boss your best friend. But still, she had to find him. His dark curls caught her eyes as she found him leaning against the nurses' desk, talking to two people who must be a patient's family.

She paused for a second, biting her lip as she watched them. Smiles. They were smiling, so it wasn't a serious conversation that she shouldn't be interrupting. They were smiling and laughing and Derek looked completely relaxed. Interrupting would be fine. "Dr. Shepherd?" she said as she walked forward, "sorry to interrupt."

"Meredith," he smiled widely.

Okay, he never called her Meredith in front of patients or their families. Weird. The man was weird today. "Mr. Kelson's scans came back," she rolled her eyes at him, handing him the scans.

"Oh thanks," he nodded, taking the scans and placing them on the desk before he leaned closer to her, his hand running along her arm. "How are you doing?"

"I'm...I'm okay," she frowned, darting her eyes quickly to the two people who were just watching them before turning back to him. "Mr. Kelson isn't though."

"What's it look like?"
"Large tumor in the cerebral cortex," she sighed and then smiled slightly. "Most of the time inoperable."

"Most of the time," he smirked. "However...he has us."

"Exactly," she giggled and then slapped her hand over her mouth. "Sorry. That was...in front of...definitely inappropriate."

"You're apologizing for the giggle now?" Derek cocked an eyebrow, dipping his head down closer to hers. "The rambling was one thing but the giggle. Seriously, Mer?"

"Okay, in front of," she tipped her head slightly towards the two people standing there, small smiles on their lips, though the younger woman was practically grinning, "yes, apologizing for giggling."

"Oh," Derek's smile widened as he looked at the two people. "I didn't...Mer, this is my mom and my sister Sophie. Soph, Mom...this is my best friend, Meredith."

"Your...this is...oh," Meredith breathed, her eyes widening as she turned to look at the two women. Definitely Derek's family. They looked almost exactly like him and...she was an idiot. A complete idiot.

"Apparently Mark's not full of bullshit," Derek whispered in her ear, his hand falling to the small of her back.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Meredith," Mrs. Shepherd smiled warmly.