Chapter Fourteen: Strength in Unity

[Luna's POV] 

Waking up next to Darius after yesterday felt strange, especially after everything he confessed. His sleeping face was relaxed, the weight of our conversation from the previous night seemingly lifted from him. I wish I could say the same for myself. I still felt overwhelmed by what happened with Rayne, that raw memory sitting just beneath the surface, ready to tear through my peace at any moment. But I didn't want it to fester, didn't want it to ruin this.

I loved Darius. I knew that much. It wasn't something that needed second-guessing or clarifying. I just wasn't ready to let go of the hurt, and that scared me. My fingers traced the side of his face, slowly, as if any faster might wake him.

How can someone be this beautiful?

His lashes brushed the tops of his cheeks, his breathing soft and rhythmic. The stillness of this moment felt perfect. We were in the castle, where everything felt so grand and yet, with Darius by my side, this space had become more personal, more intimate. I felt protected.

Darius stirred slightly, and to my surprise, he shifted closer, his arms tightening around me as he pulled me into his warmth. His eyes were still shut, but his lips curled into a soft smile, a silent acknowledgment.

I chuckled quietly, pressing my palm gently against his chest. "Good morning," I whispered.

Darius nuzzled his head into the crook of my neck, his groan muffled against my skin. "Morning," he mumbled sleepily. His voice was raspy, low, sending a shiver through me. He tightened his hold around me, as if I were a lifeline he didn't want to lose.

I played with the soft strands of his hair, my fingers tangling in the waves. "You're so clingy when you wake up."

"And you love it," he teased, his lips brushing against the sensitive skin of my neck. His breath was warm, sending little shocks through my body.

I rolled my eyes playfully, but the truth was undeniable. I did love it. I loved the way he held me like I was something precious, something to be cherished. I loved how, even in his most relaxed moments, he made me feel safe.

"I didn't say I didn't," I replied, my voice soft. "But you're still a tease."

Darius laughed, his chest vibrating under my hand. "Only for you."

He shifted so that he could look at me properly, his face inches from mine. His hand came up to brush a strand of hair behind my ear, his touch soft, careful. "How are you feeling?" he asked, his tone serious now.

I hesitated, unsure of how to answer. "I'm... I'm okay," I said, though the words felt thin, like a weak barrier against the truth.

Darius tilted his head slightly, eyes narrowing in gentle concern. "Luna," he said softly, his thumb tracing the line of my jaw. "You don't have to lie to me."

The sincerity in his voice made my heart ache. I wanted to let him in, to share the storm of emotions swirling inside me, but I was still sorting through them myself. How could I explain everything when I barely understood it?

"I'm trying," I admitted after a beat. "I'm trying to work through it, but it's hard. Rayne's betrayal... it's like this constant weight I can't shake."

His eyes softened, a deep understanding reflected in their dark depths. "You don't have to work through it alone," he said. "I'm here, for whatever you need. If you want to talk, or not talk. If you want to scream into a pillow, I'll be right there beside you."

A smile tugged at my lips. "You'd really stay while I screamed into a pillow?"

"Of course," he said, his voice taking on a serious tone. "And I'd even offer my own pillow, because I'm that dedicated."