Chapter Six: Crossing Thresholds

[Luna's POV] 

I was jolted awake by my alarm clock blaring. Groggily, I reached for my phone and slid my finger across the screen to turn it off before slowly sitting up in bed. The events of yesterday had left me mentally drained. In just three days, my life had been completely upended. I was struggling to figure out how to pretend that everything was okay, especially around my friends. Oh no, Lydia! How was I going to explain all of this to her?

Just as if she sensed my distress, Lydia texted me: "Why didn't you come over yesterday? I was waiting for you. I still have the flu and won't be in school. P.S. Did Carlisle look for me? xoxo"

I had totally forgotten that I was supposed to visit Lydia yesterday, especially after everything that had happened. It hadn't crossed my mind at all. I quickly replied, saying I got caught up with homework and lost track of time. Then, I got out of bed and took a quick shower. Today was going to be a long one.

After my shower, I headed straight to my wardrobe. I had no energy to put much thought into my outfit, so I grabbed a pair of denim shorts, a black sweater, and a black beanie. It would have to do—I really just didn't have the energy for anything more.

 It would have to do—I really just didn't have the energy for anything more

The moment I pulled into the school parking lot, I felt his presence. There he was—Darius, looking as handsome as ever. My mind raced with questions. Mate? What did that mean? What were we supposed to do about it? I also wondered where Trent was; I hadn't seen him since he left the house yesterday.

As I gathered my things and prepared to open the car door, Darius beat me to it. "You should really not do that, especially here at school," I said with a sigh as he held the door open for me.

"And why is that, little wolf?" he asked, taking my bag from me. I looked up at him, realizing just how tall he was—probably around 6'4", while I was barely 4'9".

"You've been here less than a week, and already there are so many girls fangirling over you. The fact that you're with me, one of the most unnoticed people at school, could hurt your reputation if you want to stay popular," I said, trying to grab my bag back from him. His grip only tightened.

"I don't care about popularity, little wolf. I care about you," he replied. My heart did a little somersault at his words. Dear heart, why do you always react like this?

He smiled gently, and despite my anxiety, a warm feeling spread through me. "Come on," he said, "let's get to class before you're late."

As we walked together towards the school entrance, I couldn't help but feel a mix of excitement and apprehension. What was I supposed to do with these new feelings and this strange connection? And where on earth was Trent?

As if on cue, my brother—my so-called betrayer—Trent appeared. I stormed over to him and smacked him on the head with my Calculus textbook. "You are the worst brother! How could you just walk out like that after everything you told me?" I yelled, while Trent tried to shush me.