Chapter 15 - First Stage

Wednesday's POV

"Did I interrupt something?" she teased, arching an eyebrow as she stepped inside.

"Just a little moment of vulnerability." I said, shrugging lightly. "Nothing to worry about."

Yoko sighed as she embraced both Enid and me, her cool skin contrasting with our warmth. We melted into her hold, grateful for the comfort and strength she offered in that moment. It felt good to have her here, a reminder that we weren't alone in this dark time.

"Alright, lovebirds." Yoko said with a teasing tone as she pulled back slightly, a smirk on her lips.

Enid and I exchanged glances, our smiles returning. “Dinner’s almost ready,” Enid announced, leading Yoko into the kitchen. “I hope you’re hungry!”

"Always." Yoko replied, taking in the scents wafting from the stove. "It smells amazing in here."

"Oh, by the way," Yoko said casually, as if talking about something mundane, "Alexander’s body turned to ash already. Here are your daggers, Wednesday." She handed them to me, gleaming as if they had never been used.

Then, Yoko turned to Enid with a more solemn expression. "And Enid... I believe this belongs to you." She opened her hand, revealing the glowing blue bead that had been cruelly torn from Enid's chest earlier.

Enid’s eyes widened, her breath catching as she looked at the small but significant object in Yoko’s palm.

"My bead..." she whispered, her voice tinged with awe and a mix of emotions. Hesitation flickered across her face as she reached out for it.

I tightened my grip on her hand, offering silent support. Yoko’s eyes softened as she handed Enid the bead. "It may not cure you or give you strength, but I figured it should be with you. It’s part of who you are, Enid."

Enid stared at the bead, a flicker of something unspoken passing over her face. She swallowed hard and gave a small, almost sad smile. "Thank you, Yoko," she whispered, her voice laced with emotion.

The weight of the bead in her palm was a reminder of her lost werewolf essence, but also of the love and battles she had fought.

"What do you mean by not curing her?" I asked, my voice filled with urgency as I searched for clarity. Surely the bead had some power to help her.

Yoko’s expression grew solemn as she explained, "When a werewolf loses their bead and gets poisoned by the Devil's blood, it's a different kind of battle. If they drink it, the bead will die inside them. The werewolves won’t completely lose their abilities right away, but over time, they will gradually lose their connection to their wolf side, until they eventually become human. And in 100 days… well, you know the rest."

My heart sank further as I absorbed her words. The reality of Enid’s situation hit me like a freight train. This bead, once a symbol of her power and essence, was now a bittersweet reminder of what she had lost, and what she was destined to face. I glanced at Enid, who was still holding the bead tightly, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. I wanted to protect her, to shield her from this fate, but it felt like we were standing at the edge of an abyss with no way back.

I realized something crucial. If Enid was going to gradually lose her abilities as a werewolf, it meant that she heard me silently breaking down earlier

"Did you… did you hear me earlier, love?" I asked gently, searching her face for answers.

She nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "I did, Willa. I felt it all… and it hurt."

"I’m sorry," I whispered, my voice breaking. "I just—"

"I know," Enid interrupted gently, pulling me into her arms. "But hey, it’s okay. Don’t hide it next time. Okay? We’re in this together."