Chapter 16 - Divina

Enid's POV

I had a rough night, but I was thankful I had Wednesday and Yoko with me. As dawn's light began to creep through the window, I stirred awake first among the three of us. Lifting my head slightly, I caught a glimpse of Yoko on the couch, still peacefully asleep, her chest rising and falling gently.

Beside me, my little goth girl was curled up, her arms wrapped securely around my waist. I smiled at the sight of her, so serene, and I didn't want to disturb her peace. Slowly, I shifted in bed, careful not to wake her.

Reaching up to my chest, I felt the familiar presence of my bead, the one that had become a part of me through all our struggles. With a gentle touch, I removed it, cradling it delicately in my palm. I carefully placed it in its container before setting it back on the nightstand, the weight of its significance heavy on my heart.

As I looked at Wednesday’s sleeping form, a surge of love washed over me. I reached out, gently caressing her dark hair, feeling the silky strands between my fingers. With all the tenderness I could muster, I leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek.

"You’ll be fine, my love… You’ll be fine," I whispered, my voice barely above a murmur.

A tear slipped down my cheek, and I quickly wiped it away, not wanting it to fall onto her. It hurts to see her in this vulnerable state, knowing the battle we're facing. But I had to believe in her strength and the bond we shared.

I remained there for a moment, savoring the peacefulness of the morning and the warmth of her presence beside me. It was a fleeting moment of solace in the midst of uncertainty, and I clung to it, determined to be her strength, just as she had always been mine.

"Hello my love. I've been waiting for you. For centuries now"

"Don't worry, I'll take the pain away. Please take care of this bead, my love".

"I am reincarnated to be your mate"

"It's Enid by the way, my love"

Remembering the moment we first met brought a smile to my face, a chuckle escaping my lips as I reflected on how frightened Wednesday had been back then. She was so cold, so distant, wrapped in an aura of darkness that seemed impenetrable. I recalled how I’d been drawn to her, fascinated by the way her icy exterior masked a deeper, more complex being.

It was hard to believe that the same heart, once so frigid and guarded, now beat fiercely for someone like me. I never would have imagined that beneath that stoic facade lay a capacity for love so profound it could warm even the coldest of souls.

My smile faded as tears began to fall, each droplet a reminder of the gravity of our situation. The girl who had bravely broken down her walls, allowing me into her heart, now faced the cruel reality of losing everything she held dear.

It hurts to think of how she would feel  that I, too, will be taken from her. I could picture her face, etched with grief, the sharp edges of her stoicism crumbling under the weight of despair. I could almost hear the echo of her heartbreak, as if she were once again being left alone in a world devoid of color.

"Enid? Hey, what's wrong? Does it hurt again?" Wednesday's voice broke through my spiral of despair, her sleepy panic evident despite her groggy state. I could see the worry etched across her features, her brows furrowing as she instinctively reached for me.

I quickly shook my head, forcing a smile that didn’t quite reach my eyes. "No, it’s not that. I was just… thinking." I took a deep breath, trying to shake off the heaviness that had settled in my chest. "Just remembered the first time we met."