Chapter Thirty Five

𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐊 𝐘𝐎𝐔!

♥♥♥ 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒅 𝑷𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏 𝑷𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝑶𝒇 𝑽𝒊𝒆𝒘:𝔂𝓸𝓾

Rachel's grin softened as she gazed up at the stars, her eyes glinting with wonder. "I’m sort of glad you brought me here," she admitted, her voice barely a whisper.

Rolf glanced over, the corner of his mouth curling into a teasing smile. "I thought you didn’t want to come."

She let out a soft giggle, flipping her long curls back. "That was before..." Her words trailed off, letting the twinkle in her eyes finish the sentence for her.

"Oh, really?" he teased, catching her hand and intertwining their fingers.

Teleporting her to the fae realm had taken a lot of effort. She hadn't anticipated being whisked away, especially since she had planned to study without distractions. Yet, Rolf felt an urgency he couldn't ignore—he needed to teach her how to defend herself.

"Exactly." Rachel lifted his hand, pressing a lingering kiss to his knuckles. The soft touch made Rolf’s cheeks flush a light crimson, and he opened his mouth slightly, caught off guard.

"Aw, you’re so cute when you blush," she teased, delighted by the way his cool demeanor crumbled in moments like this.

Rolf quickly recovered, running a hand through his dark, glossy hair in an attempt to play it cool. "No, I wasn’t."

She raised an eyebrow, her lips curling into a playful smirk. "Should I do it again?" she asked, slowly raising his hand toward her lips once more.

He shrugged, feigning indifference. "Go ahead. I’ve got nothing to hide."

Rachel shook her head, still smiling, and kissed his hand again. His reaction, though muted, didn’t escape her. He had only cleared his throat, his eyes suddenly focused on the ground.

"See?" she said, her laughter dancing on the air.

Rolf let out a groan, his smile betraying him. "Fine. You got me."

Satisfied, Rachel slipped her arm around his lean waist, as they resumed walking. It was an instinctual gesture, one that made him feel protective. "So, why exactly do I need to learn how to fight?" she asked, leaning into his side.

His gaze shifted ahead, eyes focused on the long line of floating purple flames that flickered along their path, casting eerie shadows on the cobbled street. Each flame floated in a glass orb, their soft hum filling the silent air. They weren’t just fire; they were alive, twisting and writhing as though fueled by something more than just magic. The flickering light danced across his face, making his expression hard to read.

"For emergencies," he said quietly, his tone serious. "You never know what could happen."

Rachel’s brow furrowed as she peered up at him. She felt the tension in his muscles, his fear masked behind a stoic exterior. She tugged at his shirt—black leather that clung to his toned frame like a second skin—and smiled. "Nothing’s going to happen to me as long as I’m with you."

Rolf’s heart skipped a beat at her confidence, but a shadow crossed his face. He couldn’t share the full weight of his fears with her. Not yet. He’d seen too much, fought too many battles. His love for her was fierce, and the thought of losing her—of failing to protect her—gnawed at him.

Even though she felt safe in his arms, he knew danger lurked in the fae realm, even on earth, unseen, unpredictable. "Even so," he said, his voice soft but firm, "you need to learn. Just in case."