Case 26: School Festival

A week after returning from the field trip, nothing had happened to Shinichi and his friends, and that made them very suspicious. 
Shinichi:"This is strange, it’s been more than a week, but they haven’t done anything at all" 
Shiho:"If they haven’t done anything by now, they must be planning something even more dangerous" 
Felix:"I’m afraid that might be the case" 
Felix:"Especially since the past few days I’ve had some trouble contacting Vermouth" 
Ran:"Azusa-san also said that Amuro-san hasn’t come to work in the last few days" 
Masumi:"For now, we should all be careful" 
They all nodded, and soon after Jodie-sensei entered the classroom.

Jodie:"Hi everyone, as you know, our school will be holding a cultural festival, so do you have any ideas on what our class should perform?" 
Kaito:"Sensei, how about a maid cafe?" 
Jodie-sensei then wrote the idea on the board. 
Jodie:"Any other ideas?" 
Sonoko:"How about a play like before?" 
Jodie-sensei then wrote that idea too, and then asked the others again. After a few people submitted their ideas, the majority vote ended up being Kaito’s idea, a maid cafe. 
Kaito:"Yes! Now I can see Akako in a maid outfit" 
Akako then pinched Kaito's stomach and whispered. 
Akako:"So that’s your goal, huh?" 
Kaito:"Ow ow ow sorry hehe"

Shinichi turned to Shiho, smiling while imagining her in a maid outfit. 
Shinichi:'A maid, huh? Not bad at all' 
Shiho, noticing Shinichi's gaze, called him out. 
Shiho:"Oi, why are you looking at me and smiling like that?" 
Shinichi:"Nothing at all?" 
At the same time, their friends were each thinking different things. 
Masumi:'I wonder if I’ll look good in a maid outfit?' 
Heiji:'I hope Kazuha doesn’t show up here or I’ll get scolded like crazy' 
Saguru:'Whatever that organization is planning, I hope we can handle it' 

Eisuke:'I hope nee-chan is still doing okay' 
Felix:'I’m hungry, when’s the lunch break?' 
The next day, they began preparing for the festival. While Kaito and Heiji were carrying supplies through the hallway, they saw a poster for a music competition on the school bulletin board. 
Kaito:"A music competition? It would be interesting if we formed a band" 
Heiji:"I agree, how about we tell the team about this?" 
They quickly headed back to class to inform their friends. 
Ran:"Wow, a band, huh? Sorry, I can’t play any instruments, so I won’t join" 
Akako:"Me neither, I won’t join, but I’ll support you guys"

Eisuke:"I’m not joining either, I’m afraid I’ll mess up your performance" 
Kaito:"How about the rest of you?" 
Saguru:"I’m decent at playing the keyboard" 
Shiho:"I can play the violin" 
Masumi:"I play the bass" 
Kaito:"Alright, I’ll take guitar, and Heiji can take drums" 
Heiji:"Now we just need a vocalist" 
Masumi:"How about Felix? His voice is pretty good, and he can also play guitar" 
Felix:"Huh, why me? Why not you, Masumi? Your voice is better than mine" 
Masumi:"Eh, I don’t want to sing alone" 
Kaito:"Alright, how about both of you be vocalists, and Felix can also be the lead guitarist" 
Kaito:"I’ll just be the rhythm guitarist"

All:"Agreed" 
Felix:"Um, alright" 
Heiji:"Yosh, then the members are set, we can start practicing tomorrow" 
All:"Ok" 
Shinichi:"Wait wait wait" 
Shinichi:"Why didn’t you ask for my opinion at all?" 
Felix and the others averted their gazes from Shinichi. 
Kaito:"We didn’t ask you because..." 
Felix:"Sorry Shinichi, but you..." 
Shiho:"What they’re trying to say is, they didn’t invite you because you’re tone-deaf" 
Shinichi:"Oi! Even though I can’t sing, I can still play the violin too, you know"

Felix:"Really?" 
Shinichi:"Really" 
Felix:"Alright then, you can have a duet with Shiho" 
After school, they gathered at the Kudo residence to practice. A few days later, the school festival began. In Class 2B, the boys wore butler uniforms, while the girls wore maid outfits. Shinichi, Kaito, and Felix were so mesmerized that they were frozen when they saw Shiho, Akako, and Masumi in maid outfits, and the same happened in reverse. They continued staring at each other until Saguru clapped his hands to snap their attention back. 
Saguru:"Oi! Stop staring at each other, at least give each other compliments" 
The six of them then snapped out of it and their faces turned red.

Shinichi:"Um, Shiho, you look really good in that outfit" 
Shiho:"Thank you, you too" 
Kaito:"Akako, you also look really beautiful in that outfit" 
Akako:"You look quite charming yourself" 
Felix and Masumi kept staring at each other, then smiled and nodded. Shortly after, they opened their cafe. It hadn’t been long since they opened, but the cafe quickly attracted a huge number of customers, and they were soon overwhelmed. Since the number of customers far exceeded their expectations, they ran out of menu items very quickly, and they had to close before lunch because they were sold out.

They then decided to explore the festival with their respective partners. Shinichi and Shiho watched an orchestra club performance, then relaxed while reading books. Kaito and Akako were looking at art exhibits like paintings and sculptures. Saguru was being dragged somewhere by a group of girls. Heiji, somehow (or more accurately, tricked by Shinichi and Kaito), met Kazuha, and after being scolded thoroughly by Kazuha, he was forced to explore the festival with her. Felix and Masumi wandered around the food stalls, buying any food they found interesting to try.

While they were walking around, someone approached the two of them and whispered to Felix. 
Person:"The drama play" 
The person then disappeared immediately after saying that. 
Felix:"Masumi" 
Masumi:"What's up, Felix?" 
Felix:"If I'm not mistaken, the play is being held in the school auditorium, right?" 
Masumi:"Yes, it seems like they'll be starting soon. Do you want to watch it?" 
Felix:"Let's go" 
They then went to the auditorium to watch the play. When they arrived, it had already started. After looking for empty seats, they found some next to the person who had whispered to Felix earlier, and they sat down. At the same time, Felix made a group call so Shinichi and the team could listen in on their conversation. 
Felix:"Vermouth, why are you here? Do you know what the organisation is planning?" 
Masumi:"Huh, Vermouth?"

Vermouth:"No, no one knows what the boss is planning" 
Vermouth:"But whatever it is, it must be very dangerous, because all members are required to gather at the headquarters, and even I had quite a hard time sneaking in here" 
Felix:"We thought so too, because lately, you all have been too quiet" 
Vermouth:"It's good that you understand, stay vigilant, and never let your guard down" 
Felix:"Understood" 
Vermouth then stood up, intending to leave. 
Vermouth:"The festival is quite interesting, but I can't stay here any longer, sorry" 
Vermouth then left, and Felix ended the group call.