Chapter 31

"Yumiko!" Tears ran down my cheeks as I held her in my arms. I sat in a puddle of her blood as a bystander called the paramedics.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see her... I-" the driver rushed over to us. For the first time since I was little, I cried like a little kid. Before, it was just silent tears, but I couldn't help the loudness. It hurt too much.

Sirens sounded in the distance as I held her tightly. What was I supposed to do? How was I supposed to help her?

"Yumiko, I'm sorry..." I rest my forehead on hers. It was all my fault. It should've been me. I should've gotten hit.

"Please don't leave me..." I kissed her. I finally kissed her. I love her. How am I supposed to live without her?

"Sir. Step away from the body. We need to put her in the ambulance." A paramedic placed their hand on my shoulder. My lip trembled and let the paramedics take her away. I rode in the back of the ambulance as they took us to the hospital. I held her hand the whole way there.

Every time I saw her, she seemed lonely. No matter how many people were around her, she never felt seen. If this is her end... I don't want her to be alone. Dying alone is something I don't wish apon anybody, even my good for nothing, father.

I scubbed my hands harshly in the bathroom. Her blood was all over my arms. Small tears rolled down my cheeks as I sighed. The blood was gone, and only a slight stain remained.

I left the bathroom, wiping my tears away. I sat on a chair in the waiting room. I held my head in my hands. God, please let her be okay...

Her older brother arrived at the hospital. He opened his mouth. He seemed to be talking, but I couldn't hear anything. He sighed and pulled me into a hug.

I don't know how he did it, but I cried. I cried and I cried and I cried. In her texts, she wouldn't shut up about how much she loves her older brother. Sitting here in this waiting room, hugging him, I can see why.

The rest of her family arrived, and my family came as well. My sister took me home to get a shower, and I fell asleep hugging my sister.

"Everything is going to be okay..." She whispered.

"I promise."