Chapter 8

Rachel's POV

I grabbed another shirt and folded it neatly on the bed, I wished I could pack it away and leave. I was done with trying with Harry. I thought he was many things, but I never expected him to hit me. I mean even after he forced himself on me almost everyday, I still wanted to see the good in him. It was just this annoying little voice that said you don't know his story. And the voice kept going even now, although it was faint. Probably being overpowered by the sting of my cheek. It'd only been a day since it happened, and I hadn't seen Harry since we last talked. Well I'd seen him we just hadn't spoken. He'd gone out last night leaving a note that said he had a job to do. Now he was passed out at noon in his room.

I wondered if his friends would be coming over anytime soon. Perhaps Liam would stop by. I hadn't thought that way about any guy since Zayn. The thought of Zayn made me tear up. I wondered if he missed me, or if he thought of me. He'd been the perfect boyfriend, so sweet, so kind. He was so romantic although he didn't like to admit to it. I wish I could of heard his voice one more time, hear him sing to me. But I'd probably never see him again. I folded the last shirt and smiled satisfied to be done. I stood up and heard the door open and close. I froze as I heard the voices down below and I slipped out of my room peeking over the railing.

I saw Harry and the rest of his friends. My heart jumped a bit as I saw Liam standing between a blonde boy who I'd seen before and another boy I'd never seen. He had brown hair and blue eyes. Harry then walked towards the stairs. I quickly rushed to my room feeling nervous about what he would say to me. What if he was drunk? What if he hit me in front of his friends and they all laughed? What if Liam laughed? Then I'd know he was just like the rest.

I shut the door locking it as the footsteps came closer. It felt like deja vu. I felt scared now, I wasn't even mad just scared. Then a soft knock came. I stood back afraid he'd break down the door if I didn't answer. "Rachel?" Harry's deep voice came through the door. He didn't sound aggressive at all.

"G-go away please Harry." I reply with a stammer. I heard a sigh escape Harry.

"I just wanted to ask if you were hungry." Harry informs me. I didn't know if those were really his intentions, and I doubted it. What if he was lying? What if I let him in and he attacked me? No, I'd rather starve then see him.

"I'm not." I reply coldly.

"Alright." Harry replies. I can see his feet in the crack at the bottom of the door. They linger there for a while and then he proceeds to walk away slowly. I let out a sigh of relief and leaned up against the wall. But in a way I wish I would go downstairs just to see Liam. He was so sweet to me the other day, and I wanted to continue the conversation. And ever since that dream I'd wanted to get to know him, then again ever since that dream I'd been fearing Harry more. Especially since he hit me. I had the sting to remind me of it. I walked towards the door slowly unlocking it. I waited a few minutes and opened the door poking me head out, hearing the voices downstairs. I tip toed quietly to the railing and decided to eavesdrop. It was something I did sometimes when I as bored. Sadly I didn't have a life of my own, Harry wouldn't allow it obviously. I peeked over the railing to see the men walking towards the dining room table. I tried to be as quite as possible as I neared the stairs, the last boy, the boy with blonde hair left the room and took his seat. I could tell when I heard the chair slide across the floor. I got to the stair third from the top, I had a decent view but none of them could see me.

"So Harry, where's that girl?" the blonde boy asks. I see the new man with the blue eyes look up at Harry curiously, a sly grin crossing his face.

"A girl, eh?" he asks. Harry rolls his eyes.

"Niall, she's upstairs." Harry says looking at the blonde. I could see the back of the blonde's head but I could tell he was looking over at Liam. Liam sat there shuffling the cards, ignoring Niall's looks. The boy with the blue eyes spoke again.

"So you just keep girls locked upstairs?" he chuckles. Harry shook his head.

"No, I'm not a pervert Louis." Harry replies.

"Might as well be." I muttered under my breath. Thankfully none of them heard me. Louis just smirks again and then opens his mouth.

"I'd like to meet her." he says. Harry's eyes grow wide but he quickly calms himself.

"She won't come out, there's no point." Harry replies in an emotionless tone.

"I'll wait for her." Louis glances up at the stairs and I jolt back quickly but quietly in case he would see me. I see Liam get an aggravated look on his face and he slams the cards on the table. Everyone at the table stops chatting and looks at Liam.

"I have to use the bathroom." Liam grumbles. He was walking to the powder room downstairs and then he passed the stairs. My heart jolted as I tried to go back upstairs but it was too late. Liam had stopped walking and seen me. I quickly put a finger up to my lips in a hush motion. Liam nodded and turned away.

"Are you lost, Liam?" Harry asks coldly.

"Do I look lost, Styles?" he shoots back narrowing his eyes at Harry. He then proceeded into the bathroom but left a second later. "Harry, your toilet is clogged. I'm using the one upstairs." Liam states. He walks up the stairs without another word to Harry. I see Harry get up and I quickly scramble up the stairs and into my room. Liam reaches the top of the stairs and walks towards my room. I blush suddenly, my heart racing.

"I thought you had to go to the bathroom?" I ask quietly closing the door. Liam just looks at me then he see's my cheek and furrows his eyebrows. He reaches out and touches it with his cool, soft hands. I flinched a bit as I felt a sting of the bruise as Liam touched it. Liam jerked his hand back and locked his eyes with mine.

"What happened to your cheek?" he asks. And for the first time that wasn't in a dream, Liam had emotion in his voice since I'd spoken to him. He sounded concerned. Maybe he was different.

"It was nothing." I reply simply looking at the ground and not meeting his eyes.

"Did he hit you?" Liam asks. I bite my lip nervously. I didn't think Liam cared. I mean who cared about me? Liam turned my head up by my chin with one index finger and made my eyes meet his. "Did he?" Liam asks again.

"H-He was drunk. I mean I did slap him first so I probably deserved it." I admit to Liam and to myself. I had slapped Harry, even though I did feel bad, and so did my hand because Harry had a rock for a face.

"That's no excuse." Liam shakes his head. I find Liam's eyes and meet them.

"Why do you care about me so much?" I ask him. It'd been bugging me. I wanted to know why Liam gave two shits about me, I mean none of Harry's other friends did.

"Someone has to." Liam replies. I find a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. It was the sweetest thing I'd heard from any guy in a long time. I felt Liam's hand brush against mine and I wanted to wrap my fingers in his. I didn't know why, I just wanted to be wrapped up his arms, I felt so warm and happy when I saw him, or when he looked me in the eyes. I hadn't felt this way since Zayn.

"But Harry doesn't like that you care about me, I can see that it pisses him off." I confess to Liam. Liam rolls his eyes.

"I don't care what Harry thinks. He's not my mum, and even if he was, I still wouldn't care." Liam replies. His arm found it's way around my waist, it was a strong but gentle grip. I didn't mind. But then that dream came into my head. I would only get Liam hurt.

"You should probably get back out there before Harry gets suspicious." I broke from his grip and Liam seemed confused.

"But-" Liam begins but I cutt him off.

"Please?" I ask. Liam nods.

"Alright, but don't forget you do have someone who cares." Liam whispers in my ear. I felt my heart speed up as Liam's breath hits my neck, he was so close to me. But then he pulled away and walked out closing the door. I took in a deep breath and leaned against the wall, this feeling was so unfamiliar to me now. It reminded me of Zayn. It felt so real, not like the love I was forced to make with Harry. I leaned against the wall and had to admit something to myself now.

I was in love with Liam Payne.