Chapter VI

Chapter VI
First Night

-RICHARD-

I quietly watched my wife, Kassie, as she busily took a few snaps of the mesmerizing beach view in front of the restaurant where we were enjoying breakfast.

Hours after our wedding, we had flown to the beautiful paradise of El Nido, Palawan. It took us a one-hour flight and a five-hour drive to reach the resort, and although the trip had been a little exhausting, the moment we stepped onto the fine white sand and laid eyes on the bright blue water, all of our fatigue vanished.

After settling into our hotel room, we decided to grab lunch, both feeling a little hungry after the long journey.

"You don't have to fill your gallery right away," I said, trying to lighten the moment.

"You should save some space; after all, we'll be here for three days, so there's no need to rush." I chuckled, hoping to ease her excitement.

"Oh! Sorry!" Kassie replied, placing her phone down on the table before turning to meet my gaze. Her smile was infectious.

"I feel so overwhelmed! It's been months since my last out-of-town trip."

"Oh... then maybe it would be good if we'd go on a trip at least once a month, right?" I suggested, feeling a sense of joy at the thought of sharing more adventures together.

Her eyes sparkled with glee at my words. "Really? We can do that?"

I nodded in reply, and her enthusiasm was contagious.

"But wouldn't it be an issue— you spending time with me instead of serving the people?" she added, a hint of concern creasing her brow.

"Why would it be?" I chuckled, wanting to reassure her. "Spending time with you shouldn't be an issue. My responsibilities as a politician shouldn't interfere with my duties as your husband." I smiled.

"I honestly still can't digest the fact that I'm married," she said, letting out a small chuckle. Taking a deep breath, she locked her gaze with mine.

"I don't exactly know what I should do," she sighed.

"But I'll try my best to be a good wife."

"It's my first time too—getting married," I chuckled back.

"So, let's both work this out together until we get the hang of it." I hoped my words reassured her.

We continued to chat as we ate, exchanging stories about our lives—work, hobbies, and even my mother's strong opposition to my political career.

"She's really against it, to the point that she even campaigned for the other candidate," I shared, laughter bubbling up as I recalled her antics.

"Really?" Kassie chuckled. "Gosh! I can imagine her wearing a shirt with the other candidate's face printed on it!"

"She did that!" I nodded, laughter escaping again.

"I think she has a photo of herself posted on her social media accounts."

"Well... we can't blame her for that," Kassie smiled.

"After what happened on our first dinner, I think I understand her perspective," she said, her tone lightening.

But suddenly, the cheerful atmosphere shifted. Kassie's smile faded as she looked down, a sigh escaping her lips.

"Has that occurrence happened before?" she asked, her eyes searching mine.

I sighed, feeling the weight of the question. "I've received threats before, but it was the first time I got hit by a bullet."

"The news about my plan to run for a higher position might have threatened them," I added, my tone reflecting the gravity of the situation.