Chapter III

Chapter III
A Dinner to Remember

-RICHARD-

Fifteen minutes before six, I arrived at the entrance of an elegant restaurant, its polished exterior gleaming under the soft glow of the streetlights.

Clutching a vibrant bouquet of fresh flowers, I made my way toward the reception, my heart racing with anticipation. I had shared countless dinners with various individuals, but tonight felt different—an exhilarating flutter of nervousness coursed through me.

"A reservation under Alberto Villafuerte," I informed the receptionist, who responded with a nod and a welcoming smile.

"This way, Sir," she said, gesturing for me to follow.

As I walked through the elegantly decorated dining room, my heart skipped a beat when I spotted a familiar face. It was the lady from the photograph. She looked even more radiant in person, her presence illuminating the space around her. Just then, she raised her gaze and our eyes locked, a spark of recognition igniting in her expression.

"Enjoy your dinner, Ma'am and Sir," the receptionist said as she departed.

"Thank you," I replied, a smile tugging at my lips.

"Am I late?" I asked. The look of surprised in her eyes confirmed that she knew exactly who I was.

"N-No..." she stammered and shook her head.

"I just arrived early." A blush crept across her cheeks as she quickly turned her gaze away.

"P-Please, have a seat," she offered, her voice warm yet shy.

I took a seat across from her, feeling the weight of the moment.

"By the way, these are for you," I said, handing her the bouquet.

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor..." she replied, accepting the flowers and gently placing them in her lap, a hint of admiration in her eyes.

"Oh, please, just call me Richard," I said with a genuine smile. "And you are?"

"Kassie. Kassie Yan," she introduced herself.

For a few moments, silence enveloped us. For the first time in my life, I found myself at a loss for words. Thankfully, the waiter approached to rescue us from the quiet.

"Shall I take your order, Ma'am and Sir?" he inquired, handing us the menus.

Noticing Kassie's calm demeanor, I guessed she must be familiar with the restaurant. "Can you recommend something?" I asked.

She paused, glancing up from the menu. "Their seared scallops and filet mignon are excellent," she replied with a smile.

"I'll have those then," I said, turning to the waiter.

"Bruschetta and grilled salmon with asparagus for me," Kassie added.

After taking our orders, the waiter stepped away, and I braced myself for another stretch of silence. But to my surprise, Kassie broke it, her curiosity shining through.

"Uhm... so how are you?" she asked, her voice warm.

"I'm fine..." I replied, searching for the right words.

"...how about you?"

"I'm good..." she answered, a soft chuckle escaping her lips.

The sound was light and infectious, easing the tension that had settled between us.

"I have to admit, I didn't expect to be having dinner with the mayor tonight. How did that happen?"

I chuckled softly. "It's not every day I get to step out of the office for a dinner like this, either. I guess fate has a funny way of surprising us."