Chapter XXIII

Chapter XXIII

-KASSIE-

As I stood just outside the door, I could hear every word—Richard's voice, steady and strong, declaring what I'd longed to hear. My heart swelled, filling with a joy so pure it felt like my chest could hardly contain it. He loved me. Tears slid down my cheeks as each word he spoke sank in, washing away all the doubt that had lingered between us.

I wanted to run in, to throw my arms around him and tell him that I'd waited so long to hear those words, that I'd always hoped he'd feel the same way. But my feet wouldn't move. My heart raced, and I clung to the doorway, frozen in this surreal moment, as if moving would shatter the fragile happiness blooming inside me.

As I finally turned away, gathering myself, Jasper stepped out, his gaze meeting mine. He looked surprised, but there was a gentle understanding in his eyes. We stood there, silent for a moment, until he finally spoke.

"Kassie..." His voice was softer than I'd ever heard it. "I didn't know you were there."

I nodded, unable to speak at first, wiping my cheeks.

"I... I heard everything," I murmured, offering him a faint, understanding smile.

He looked away, his face clouded with something between regret and acceptance.

"I need to tell you that I'm sorry, Kassie," he said, his voice steady but tinged with sadness.

"For all the ways I hurt you, for the times I let you down. I should have been honest with you back then, and you deserved better than what I could give."

The sincerity in his voice touched me, stirring up a swirl of old memories and emotions I thought I'd left behind. I took a shaky breath, looking him in the eyes.

"Thank you, Jasper. I... I forgive you." It wasn't easy to forgive Jasper. The hurt he'd caused had left wounds I thought would never fully heal. But as I looked into his eyes, filled with the weight of his regret, I felt a strange sense of peace settle over me. The words of forgiveness weren't simple to say, yet they felt like a release, as if I was letting go of a burden I'd carried far too long.

"We were both young back then... we're grown-ups now."

A faint smile appeared on his face, and he nodded.

"You're right," he said softly.

"And seeing you here, seeing you with him... I know that you're exactly where you're supposed to be. You're happier now. And that's all I ever wanted for you."

"Thank you," I whispered, a small smile breaking through the lingering tears.

He held my gaze for a moment longer, then took a deep breath.

"I wish you nothing but happiness, Kassie," he murmured.

"You deserve all the love in the world." He glanced back at the room where Richard lay, then gave me a parting nod before he turned and walked away, leaving me with a heart lighter than I'd ever felt before.

After a week of being discharged from the hospital, life was gradually returning to its usual rhythm. I tried to find comfort in the familiar routines, but there was an ache in my heart that wouldn't fade. I could sense Richard's feelings for me; they were palpable in the small gestures, the glances, the way he cared for me. Yet, despite all that, I couldn't bring myself to confess my feelings to him.

What if I misheard things? What if I was simply imagining the depth of his affection, the love that seemed to shimmer just beneath the surface? My fears clung to me, wrapping around my heart like vines, constricting my thoughts and preventing me from speaking my truth.