Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI

-RICHARD-

"I'm sure you had fun," I said, nodding at Kassie as she smiled. But I couldn't shake the feeling that something was bothering her. "Your eyes are telling me that something is on your mind."

"Since when did you start reading people's eyes?" she chuckled, and I couldn't help but smile back at her.

"Hmm..." I thought for a moment. "Since the day I started getting curious about your world."

"What do you mean?" There was a hint of confusion in her voice.

I took a breath, recalling our first meeting. "On our first meeting, you said we come from slightly similar yet different worlds. Mine revolves around politics, while yours is run by literature."

Kassie looked thoughtful for a moment. "I didn't have much to do at the hospital because my mom forbids me from working, so I decided to try new things. I asked my secretary to buy me a copy of your works."

Marrying Kassie had opened my eyes to how much I had missed out on. My life had been consumed by politics and serving the people, but she had given me the chance to catch up with what I'd set aside. Because of her, I learned to see the world differently and to understand not just those around me but also myself.

"I... feel flattered," I said, returning her smile.

"I'm used to having people buy my books, but I never expected that you'd do it too."

"How was it?" she asked, her curiosity piqued. "Are you now also a part of my reader's club?" She chuckled, and I loved how her laughter lit up her face.

"Not yet officially, but I'd love to!" I grinned.

She laughed again, shaking her head. "Should I learn about politics now too?"

"Only if you want to, Kass." I replied, trying to keep my tone light. As much as I wanted her to experience my world, I didn't want to force her into something she wasn't ready for.

Time passed quickly, and before I knew it, there were only two months left before the election. The days blurred together, consumed by work and council meetings that left me little room to breathe. I found myself caught in a whirlwind of campaigns and responsibilities, barely able to keep my head above water.

Dinner at home had become a rare luxury. Most nights, when I finally pulled into the driveway, Kassie would already be asleep, the house silent except for the soft hum of the refrigerator and the occasional rustle of the dogs shifting in their beds. I missed the warmth of her presence at the dinner table, the laughter and lightness that filled our home when we spent time together.

I then again found myself in the middle of a seemingly endless campaign meeting – stack of campaign materials were spread out before me. The atmosphere was tense, filled with heated discussions and debates for our move in the upcoming election. But despite that, my mind was drifting elsewhere.

Kassie... I felt an ache in my chest. I missed her laughter, the way she brightened my world just by being in it. The thought of her alone at home, waiting for me, pulled at my heartstrings.

"Okay, team, let's wrap this up," I interrupted, raising my hand to quiet the chatter. The room fell silent, and all eyes turned to me, confusion flickering across their faces. "I think we've made enough progress for today. You've all worked hard, and I appreciate it, but I really need to head home."

A few team members exchanged glances, surprised at my sudden decision. "Are you sure, Richard?" one of them asked. "We still have a lot to cover before the next rally."