Chapter IV

Chapter IV
Consent

-RICHARD-

The last thing I remember is the look of horror on Kassie's face. I then found myself in hospital room. My body feels heavy, each limb weighed down as I struggle to make sense of my surroundings. I blink against the harsh fluorescent lights, trying to gather my thoughts.

As I attempt to sit up, a sharp pain shoots through my side, forcing me to wince.

"Kassie..." Despite being in pain, I couldn't help but think of her. She must have been taken aback by the happenings.

"Hmm..." I then glanced at the side of my bed – there she was, resting her head on my bed, napping. She stayed? I can't help but remember the fear in her eyes, the way she rushed to my side after it all happened.

As if it had a mind of its own, my hand made its way to tuck away the strands of her hair that was covering her face.

"Hi..." I lightly greeted, seeing how her eyelids fluttered open.

"Richard!" she gasps, sitting up suddenly. "You're awake!"

I manage a small smile, despite the pain that radiated from my side. "Yeah, I'm here."

"Are you feeling okay now? You were shot, and I thought..." Her voice trails off, the fear creeping back into her eyes.

"I'm fine, Kassie. I'm fine," I said with a smile to assure her.

The look of worry in her eyes made me feel guilty. "I'm sorry you had to go through this..."

"I-It's fine." She shook her head. "Don't think about that right now," she added.

"You should focus on getting better – that's what matters most." She smiled.

Before either of us could say another word, the door to the room creaked open, and a doctor stepped in, his white coat rustling softly. His face was calm but focused as he approached the bed.

"Good to see you awake," he said, his eyes scanning the monitors before turning to me. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore," I admitted, wincing slightly as I shifted in the bed. "But alive, I guess."

The doctor nodded. "That's understandable, given the circumstances. You took quite the hit, but you're stable now. You're going to need plenty of rest, though. Your body needs time to heal, and pushing yourself too hard could set you back."

Kassie was sitting up straighter now, her full attention on the doctor.

"Is there anything I should be doing? Anything he needs specifically?"

The doctor smiled, glancing between us.

"You're already doing a great job. Just keep him comfortable, make sure he's not overexerting himself, and... don't let him get too stressed." He turned to me, raising an eyebrow.

"And that means listening to your girlfriend here. She clearly knows how to take care of you."

I felt Kassie stiffen beside me, her face turning bright red at the mention of the word "girlfriend." She opened her mouth as if to correct him, but no words came out.

I couldn't help it—a chuckle escaped me, despite the slight pain it caused in my ribs. Kassie shot me a flustered look, but I just smiled through the discomfort.

"Looks like I'm in good hands, huh?"

The doctor grinned.

"Very lucky guy, indeed." He nodded at Kassie. "Keep up the good work."