Chapter XIII

Chapter XIII
The Most Beautiful Woman

-KASSIE-

The night of the ball had finally arrived, and I stood in front of the mirror, taking in my reflection with a mix of awe and disbelief. I hardly recognized myself. The dress I wore was nothing short of stunning—an elegant, classy piece that hugged my curves in all the right places, making me feel both beautiful and confident.

The fabric shimmered softly under the light, a deep emerald green that complemented my complexion beautifully. It had a sweetheart neckline that accentuated my collarbones, giving it a hint of allure without being overly revealing. The fitted bodice clung to my waist, flaring gently at the hips to create a silhouette that made me feel like a goddess. A delicate slit on one side added just enough drama, revealing a hint of leg as I moved.

Mama Merriam had insisted I pick this dress, and now, standing here in it, I was grateful for her guidance. It felt like a little secret we shared, one that added an element of excitement to the night. I couldn't wait to see Richard's reaction when he laid eyes on me.

I took a deep breath, smoothing down the fabric as I reminded myself that I could do this. Tonight was about more than just looking good; it was about stepping into a role I was still learning to embrace—being Richard's wife.

I added the finishing touches to my makeup, a soft glow that highlighted my features without overshadowing them. As I applied a touch of lipstick, I caught a glimpse of my nervousness reflected in the mirror. But as I smiled at my reflection, the initial apprehension faded, replaced by excitement.

Tonight would be special.

I turned to grab my clutch and realized I was ready. The anticipation of the evening ahead buzzed within me, and I couldn't help but think about how Richard would see me. Would he be as taken aback by the dress as I was? Would he see how much effort I had put into this moment?

As I made my way to the living room, I could feel my heart racing. This was more than just a ball; it was a chance for us to connect, to show the world who we were as a couple.

And with that thought, I opened the door, ready to step into the night.

-RICHARD-

As she descended the stairs, I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was breathtakingly beautiful, making me feel like the luckiest man in the galaxy. The elegant dress hugged her curves perfectly, flowing gracefully around her as she moved.

Every step she took felt like it was in slow motion, and my heart raced at the sight. I could see the confidence in her posture and the hint of nervous excitement in her smile. It struck me how utterly captivating she was; it was as if the world faded away, and all that mattered was her.

"Why do you look at me like that?" she then asked.

"Like what?" I asked in reply.

"Like... I'm the most beautiful woman in the universe?" she shyly replied.

"Because you are," I replied, my voice steady and sincere.

"You have no idea how stunning you look tonight."

-KASSIE-

Richard never left my side, even when he took a moment to greet some of his friends. I tried to scan the room for my own friends and spotted them sitting a few tables away. Richard must have noticed my gaze lingering on them because he smiled at me.

"You can talk to them if you'd like," he said.

"Shouldn't I be beside you?" I asked, a hint of reluctance in my voice.

He shrugged off his coat and draped it over my shoulders, the fabric warm and comforting against my sleeveless dress.

"You're my wife, Kass, not my secretary." His smile was genuine, reassuring.

"And even if I want to keep you all to myself, I wouldn't want you to feel lonely."

I wanted to respond to his words, to express the flutter of emotions churning inside me, but all I could do was smile, my heart racing.

"Come back to me later," he said, and I nodded, feeling a rush of warmth as I stood up from my seat and walked toward my friends.

Richard's coat still rested on my shoulders, enveloping me in a sense of security and warmth. I caught a whiff of his masculine perfume, and it sent a pleasant shiver down my spine.

"Looks like someone's dressed to impress tonight," Lauren said, a knowing smile dancing on her lips.

"I bet after this ball, Kass will finally experience what it's like to have a long and steamy night," Roxanne declared with a teasing glint in her eye.

I wasn't prepared for her boldness, and my cheeks flared a deep crimson. I probably looked like a tomato!

"Y-Yeah! Don't say things like that!" I stammered, taking a sip from the champagne glass I'd taken from a passing server.

"Richard and I aren't that intimate..." I added, my voice trailing off awkwardly.

"Well then... after this night, I bet Mr. Mayor will surely devour you," Roxanne winked, laughter spilling from her lips. "I'd even say he's just trying his best not to do that right now."

Oh gosh! Since when did Roxanne become so bold?

My gaze wandered to Yzza's eight-month baby bump, and I felt the heat in my cheeks intensify.

As the night deepened, the party became increasingly lively. Mini-events and presentations from various choirs and dance troupes, all supported by the foundation, filled the air with excitement and joy.

Richard had come to fetch me from my friends, and we settled into our seats side by side. I could feel the coolness creeping in, and I instinctively rubbed my palms together for warmth. To my surprise, Richard noticed.

"Are you cold?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

"A little," I admitted, trying to hide my shiver.

Without hesitation, he took my hand, intertwining our fingers before tucking them into his coat pocket. A rush of warmth flooded through me at his gentle gesture. When I looked up, he was smiling at me, a soft, reassuring smile that made my heart flutter.

We continued to watch the presentations, but soon I found myself stifling a yawn. Richard glanced down at me and chuckled softly.

"Sleepy already? It's just getting exciting!" he teased.

"I know," I said, stifling another yawn. "But I might need to take a quick nap."

Richard leaned in closer, moving his chair until our bodies brushed against each other.

"How about this? Just rest your head here for a bit," he suggested, guiding my head to rest on his chest. It was such an unexpected and tender gesture, and it caught me off guard. I hadn't realized he had been paying such close attention to me.

"Are you sure?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Absolutely," he replied, his voice warm and inviting. "Just relax."

A smile spread across my face as I leaned into him, the warmth of his body enveloping me like a cozy blanket. I closed my eyes for a moment, letting the sounds of the evening fade away as I listened to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat beneath my ear.