Chapter XVIII

Chapter XVIII

-KASSIE-

I stared at him, unable to hide my disbelief.

Why is he even here?

"W-What are you doing here?" I managed to ask, trying to keep my voice steady despite the shock coursing through me.

Jasper's lips curved into a slight smile, one that held just a hint of mischief.

"I'm the new Managing Editor," he replied casually, as if his presence here was the most normal thing in the world.

My thoughts raced as I tried to make sense of it.

Out of all the qualified people who could have replaced Delilah, why him?

He seemed to pick up on my dismay and chuckled, folding his arms as he looked at me with that same infuriating ease.

"Didn't think you'd get rid of me that easily, did you?"

I took a steadying breath, forcing myself to stay calm even as memories and old emotions threatened to bubble up.

"This isn't about me getting rid of you," I said coolly, though the edge in my voice betrayed me. "It's about keeping things professional."

His eyes lingered on me for a moment, something unreadable flickering there.

"Don't worry," he said, a little too smoothly. "I'm here strictly for work."

Strictly for work.

The words echoed in my head as I tried to process the strange reality unfolding before me. Of all places, he had to show up here, just like that—as if he hadn't shattered everything.

I could feel my fists clenching, nails digging into my palms as I struggled to keep my composure. I swallowed down the rising tide of emotions, reminding myself where I was, but the bitterness lingered.

Just seeing him here, after everything... it was enough to make me want to confront him, to say something. Anything. But I couldn't let him see how much he'd rattled me.

A few years ago...

The air buzzed with excitement as every senior prepared for the upcoming graduation ball. The guys were planning elaborate ways to ask their dates, and the girls were scouring the city for the perfect gowns. It was supposed to be the highlight of our time at the university, the night we'd all look back on as the grand finale to these years of hard work.

Jasper, though, seemed to be in a world of his own. While others talked about suits and slow dances, he was laser-focused on finishing his thesis—a paper he believed would get him into Brownview, his dream university.

It had been a long journey for him, setbacks around every corner, but he was finally nearing the finish line. I was proud of him. We all were. Being part of his support system, I thought, meant something special. But as it turned out, I couldn't have been more wrong.

"Yo! Looks like you're off to Brownview!" I heard Topher say as he gave Jasper a congratulatory slap on the back.

Jasper chuckled, his usual confident smile spreading across his face. "Yeah... I'm finally finishing my paper," he replied with satisfaction.

Topher smirked, leaning in. "So, being friends with those people wasn't all bad, huh?"

I stayed hidden behind the stairway with Roxanne and Tina, my curiosity getting the best of me. But then, Jasper's response made my stomach drop.