Epilogue

Epilogue

The bright rays of sunshine that peeked through the window kissed Kassie's cheeks, coaxing her into wakefulness. She smiled, slowly opening her eyes and turning her gaze towards the direction where Richard stood, savoring his morning coffee.

"Good morning..." Richard greeted with a warm smile.

"Good morning..." Kassie replied, sitting up slowly and tucking her hair behind her ear.

Setting his mug down on the coffee table, Richard walked over and stole a quick kiss from her lips before leaning down to plant a tender kiss on her five-month-old baby bump. Kassie beamed, her heart swelling with love as she caressed his hair.

"I hope we get a little princess this time," Richard pouted playfully, and Kassie chuckled at his hopeful wish.

Their sweet moment was interrupted when a cute little intruder hopped onto their bed. It was none other than their five-year-old son, Rhyz.

Richard helped his son climb onto the bed, ruffling his hair affectionately. "Good morning, little man!"

"Good morning, Mommy and Daddy!" Rhyz chirped, his voice full of energy and joy.

Five years ago, Kassie gave birth to a healthy and beautiful baby boy whom they named Rhyz Bennett. He inherited all of Richard's features—brown wavy hair and cute dimples—but his spirited attitude came straight from her. Rhyz was intelligent and jolly, much like his father. Kassie vividly remembered how Richard had fainted upon hearing Rhyz's first cry, overwhelmed with joy.

Over the years, Richard proved to be a wonderful husband and the best father to their child. He learned to juggle work and parenting with grace. Though he remained a politician, he chose to continue serving as the governor instead of pursuing a senatorial position.

In the span of those five years, they faced many challenges but managed to overcome them all. Now, they were eagerly expecting their second child.

"Breakfast is ready," Kassie announced, transferring the food to clean plates.

Both Richard and Rhyz looked at her, grinning.

"Are we having pancakes today, Mommy?" Rhyz rushed towards her, eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Of course, baby," she confirmed, her smile brightening the room.

Rhyz placed his little hand on her baby bump.

"Hello, baby! I can't wait to share my pancakes with you!" he exclaimed, speaking to her belly, and Kassie chuckled at his innocence. He truly was a lovely little boy, just like his dad.

Kassie then shifted her attention to Richard, who was hugging her from behind.

"Did I already tell you how much I love you?" he asked softly.

"I love you more, Richie," she replied, laughter escaping her lips.

"That's unfair. You were supposed to answer yes or no, then I'd tell you how much I love you," he pouted, making her laugh even harder at his silliness.

After finishing breakfast, Kassie bathed Rhyz and dressed him before turning her attention to herself. They needed to head to the venue for their baby shower. Initially, they planned to hold it at home, but Mommy Merriam insisted on hosting it at the newly opened resort.

Kassie slipped into a baby pink maxi dress, tying her hair into a half ponytail with a matching ribbon, completing the look with pink flats. Richard and Rhyz wore matching outfits, and she couldn't resist snapping a photo of the two of them together.

"Waaaah! Why does it seem like pregnancy suits you?" Roxanne greeted her with a grin, and Kassie chuckled.

"You look so blooming, unlike when I was pregnant with mine!" Roxanne pouted, and Kassie shrugged, laughing.

"I don't know, Rox. If there's someone who could answer that, it would probably be Tina," she joked.

"Hi, Rox! Where's your husband?" Kassie felt Richard's arm snake around her waist, and she looked at him, smiling.

"He's probably somewhere with our kids," Roxanne replied.

"Hey! That's what I've been meaning to ask! Since when did our husbands become so close?" she raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued.

"I'm not quite sure, but they even have their own group chat," Kassie replied, bemused.

After chatting with Roxanne, Kassie and Richard made their way to greet their other friends.

"Hey, man! Hey, Kass!" Laurenze smiled brightly. "You look really blooming today. I'm sure that rooting for a baby girl will give me a chance to win the raffle!" he added.

Mommy Merriam organized a little raffle for whoever guesses the baby's gender, with the winner receiving a three-day stay at the resort.

"Can you perhaps give me some hint?" he asked, and Kassie smiled coyly.

"I don't want to be unfair to my husband," she chuckled, glancing at Richard.

"Does that mean you know?" Richard asked, his eyes wide with curiosity, and she nodded, unable to hide her amusement.

Once they finished greeting the guests, they stepped outside where a big balloon awaited them to pop. Richard appeared noticeably nervous.

"3... 2... 1..."

Together, they stabbed the balloon with safety pins, and blue confetti burst into the air around them. Kassie knew he wanted a girl, and she bit her lip, looking at Richard with teary eyes. Their gazes locked, and he smiled as he walked toward her, pulling her into a comforting hug.

"It's fine," he said reassuringly.

"I'll just use my luck for baby number three," he joked.

Kassie glared at him, playfully pinching his arm. "Ya! It's not easy to give birth!" she exclaimed, and he grinned down at her belly, caressing it gently.

"Daddy doesn't care if you're a boy or a girl because the most important thing is that you come out healthy," he said, his voice filled with sincerity.

Being married to a politician brought many changes. There were privileges, but also challenges. People looked up to them; some admired them, while others did not. Their lives could never be entirely normal. They faced controversies, and their privacy was often invaded.

Kassie had been through it all. She couldn't say she'd gotten used to it, but she learned that some things in life would always be difficult, no matter how hard one tried. All it took was a strong heart and a generous amount of courage.

She loved Richard in ways more profound than he could ever imagine, despite all the changes they'd gone through. He wasn't perfect, nor would he ever be, but that didn't matter because she saw him trying his best in everything he did.

"I love you, Mrs. Kassie Yan-Chiu," Richard said, stealing a kiss from her lips.

"I love you more, Mr. Richard Chiu," she smiled back.

---

Sweetheart Series I - The Politician's Wife

Hi, everyone! Thank you for supporting Richard and Kassie's story 'till the end. I hope it was a good read for you. 

Don't forget to vote, and feel free to comment down your thoughts.

I will soon be posting the other installments of the Sweetheart Series. So, stay tuned!

Lavlots~!