Chapter I

Chapter I 
Papa's Last Wish

-RICHARD-

Like the average days, I was at the office – sitting on my chair, reviewing the proposal regarding the distribution of new materials and machineries for the farmers. I had to make sure everything will be sailing smoothly as this has been delayed a couple of times due to the problems with the budget.

"Hey, Mr. Mayor." The solemn atmosphere was then broken by Laurenze' sudden arrival. I momentarily took a pause from reading to spare him a glance.

"Until when are you going to neglect me, your best buddy?" he asked as he made himself comfortable on the sofa intended for guests. I shook my head and sighed. He has been bugging me nonstop to tour him around the city.

"The people need me more," I replied as I return my attention back to the file I was reading.

"If I had known you'd throw me out this easily, I should have not joined your campaign." He sulked.

"I did not ask you to," I nonchalantly replied, stating the fact – I could clearly remember how he turned down his appointments voluntarily just so he could join the campaign. Though, I can't deny that his massive fanbase did bring a positive impact.

"Right." He let out a sigh and chuckled. What he said next made me wish I could kick him out of the window.

"I had momentarily forgotten that I am the only one making this relationship work." He laughed

"Fuck you. I don't need another set of articles questioning my manhood." I then closed the file and glared at him. The two of us have been best friends since high school – since then we have been inseparable. Yet, it did come with cons – we were once rumored to be secretly dating each other.

"If so, do something to eternally shut them up."

"Why do I have to be the one to do the work?" I leaned my back against my chair and massaged the bridge of my nose.

"Because, I can't," Laurenze simply replied.

"You know why, right?"

I sighed. "Why can't you just tell her the truth anyway?"

"I want to, but I still don't have the courage to..."

Apparently, my best bud is in love with a lady who abhors men. In his pursuit to woo her he has disguised his true self. I shook my head and sighed. My... the things people do for love can be quite a handful.

"Your Mama and Papa are waiting at the dinner table," Nana Lena greeted me with a smile.

"Thanks, Nana," I replied before making my way to the dinner hall.

"Finally, you have arrived!" Mama happily chirped as she stood up from her chair to give me a tight embrace.

"Sorry. Rush hour," I said. "Good evening, Papa." I then greeted.

"Good evening, son. Is everything at work, okay?" he inquired as I pulled a chair for Mama to sit.

"It's as usual, Pa," I replied. "So, what are we having for dinner?" I asked, shifting the topic as I knew quite well that Mama hated when we talked about work at home – most especially my work.

"Hmm... your Mama prepared your favorites." Dad smiled, giving me a signaling look in the eye.

"Favorites 'eh?" I chuckled. I then shifted my gaze to Mama who had a grin plastered on her lips. Even before she could say anything, I knew quite well what she had in mind.

"Well, son, it's about time you settle down. Your Papa and I are not getting any younger, yet we still don't have grandchildren!" She pouted.

"We already had this talk, Ma," I said. Ever since my thirtieth birthday, she has been bugging me to go on blind dates. Fortunately, I was able to delay it a bit because of the election and my appointment as town mayor.