Chapter XV

Chapter XV
Love?

-KASSIE-

"Oh my! I'm so lucky because I get to buy groceries with the future governor's wife!" Roxanne chuckled, her laughter brightening the supermarket aisle.

"Yeah! You make it sound like a big deal," I replied, shaking my head. "It's my husband who is running for governor, not me."

As we walked along the aisle, Roxanne carried little Stella in a baby carrier while I pushed my cart beside her. Our security escorts, sent by Richard, trailed us closely, their black suits making me acutely aware of how much I stood out in the crowd.

"Still! It doesn't change the fact that you are also influential," Roxanne insisted, her excitement evident.

"We both know being a politician's wife isn't something usual."

"Plus, the fact that you have personal security guards tagging along strengthens the idea that you're not just an ordinary citizen!" she giggled, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

I glanced over my shoulder, sighing. Roxanne was right; the presence of two men in suits following me definitely made heads turn. I noticed a few shoppers taking out their phones, probably snapping pictures of us.

"Should I run away then?" I joked, half-heartedly.

"Sure you can, but that would definitely leave a big dent in Richard's political image," Roxanne teased, comparing the labels of two different peanut butter spreads.

"And it also means you'd be giving up the chance to be with a good man."

Her words made me pause. I took a deep breath, feeling a lightness in my chest.

"Why does it feel like we've exchanged roles?" I mused. "A few months ago, I was the one giving you advice about pursuing love."

"Well, that's because the world goes," Roxanne smiled, her expression softening.

"Your words helped me realize that the man meant for me has long been by my side, so I'd like to return the favor. After all, that's what friends are for."

I nodded, grateful for her support.

"You hear that, Stella?" I said, looking down at the baby who was happily nibbling on her toy.

"I, Auntie Kassie, played a big role in your mommy and daddy's love story." I pinched the infant's chubby arms gently, earning a soft giggle from Roxanne.

After we crossed everything off our grocery lists, we decided to grab a bite at a nearby restaurant. While we waited for our food, I kept playing with little Stella, feeding her from her milk bottle while she sat in her stroller.

"Is that yum-yum?" I asked her, eliciting a chuckle from Roxanne.

"You'd make a good mother to your future children, Kass," Roxanne said, and a warm flush crept into my cheeks. The memory of last night surged to the forefront of my mind.

Oh my! What if I get pregnant?

"Uhm... how many times d-did you do it—" I started to ask, but my shyness took over as I met Roxanne's innocent gaze.

The air between us grew thick with tension, and for a moment, silence enveloped us. Then, Roxanne's eyes widened in realization, her jaw dropping open.

"Omo?! Did you?!" she exclaimed, and in that instant, I felt my face heat up, transforming into a bright tomato.

My cheeks burned as I fumbled with my words, caught off guard by the surprise in Roxanne's eyes.