Chapter 14: When Threats Come True.

Devin’s P.O.V.

Beep. Beep. Beep. My text message tone woke me up. I cracked open my eyes and looked at the sun breaking through my window. It must be morning. I pulled my phone off the charger and unlocked it. I opened the text message and it was a picture of me and Danielle kissing in the middle of the hallway. The text said I thought you got her to hate you… this doesn’t look like hate to me. Shit, shit, shit! I quickly received another text message. I opened it, scared of what was inside. Do you know where she is, Devin? I don’t think you do. I ran out of the room to Danielle’s room. I looked around and she wasn’t there.

“Danielle? Danielle?” I called out looking in every single room of the house. She’s not in the house or in the backyard. I ran outside and there was still no sign of her. I started walking on the path she normally takes to walk Coco. He heard a familiar barking. I saw her lying on the sidewalk with blood oozing out of her head.

“No, no, no! Danielle!” I said softly as I picked her up and grabbed Coco’s leash. I walked, more like ran, back to the house and set her down on the couch. I grabbed my phone and called the ambulance.

“9-1-1, What’s your emergency?” The voice on the line asked.

“My girlfriend has blood oozing out of her head and she’s unconscious.” I said in a panic.

“Is she still breathing?” The lady asked.

“Yea, she’s still breathing, but it’s shallow.” I said.

“What is your location sir?” She asked.

“1800 picket drive.” I said. “Please hurry!” I added.

“An ambulance has been dispatched. Hold tight.” She said before I hung up and walked next to Danielle. I brushed the hair out of her face. Her eyes fluttered open.

“Hey there.” I said smiling. She opened her mouth to talk but I cut her off. “Sh baby girl. Shh. You’re going to be alright.” I said brushing the hair away again. A weak smile formed on her face before she went unconscious again. Against my will, I left her side. I ran up the stairs and woke Jess and Mel up.

“Get ready.” I said pulling the sheet off of them.

“Where are we going?” Jess asked.

“The hospital.” I said simply. “Don’t ask questions, just get ready.” I said before leaving the room and getting ready myself. As I was pulling my shirt over my head I head the sirens and I ran downstairs. I opened up the doors to let the paramedics come in.

“Where’s the patient?” The man asked.

“On the couch.” I said pointing at her. They lifted her on the stretcher. Jess and Mel came down the stairs as soon as she was being carted away.

“What’s going on?” Mel asked.

“Just follow us to the hospital.” I said before crawling into the back of the ambulance with Danielle. I gripped onto her hand as the ambulance drove to the hospital. When we reached, they carted her away to do some tests. The girls reached soon after panicking.

“Devin, what’s going on?” Jess asked.

“What’s wrong with Danielle?” Mel asked.

“I don’t know. All I know was she was taking longer than normal with Coco. When I went looking for her, she was laying motionless on the sidewalk with blood coming out of her head.” I said. “It’s ok. She’s going to be ok. I mean, the worst possible outcome is a concussion. She’ll be alright.” I said trying to calm them down.