Chapter 17: When A Nightmare Becomes Reality

Fear  

/fi(ə)r/

Noun

An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. 

Danielle’s P.O.V

What happens when the world around you just stops? What happens when you don’t know what to do anymore? You go numb. You push out all your feelings. You know why? Because those feelings hurt. Those feelings are what got you there in the first place. Those feelings cause you nothing but pain. You can’t take those feelings anymore. That’s what happened to me today. That’s what caused me to go numb.

12 Hours Ago.

I hurried around getting the last things we need from the house for Mel’s birthday. Today was going to be great. I get to spend a whole day with my friends and most importantly Devin. We’ve been spending a lot more time together lately. Even though he’s still dating Emily, we still hang out and kiss and stuff. Yea, I know it’s wrong and everything, but I need him. I can’t be without him. I’m in love with him. Yea, I admit it. I’m in love with him.

“Dani! Are you ready?” I heard Devin yell from downstairs.

“Yea, be down in a sec.” I yelled down. I grabbed my phone and walked downstairs.

“You look beautiful.” He said smiling at me. I looked down at my white summer dress and smiled.

“Thank.” I said blushing. I looked back down at my dress and thought it looked oddly familiar. I couldn’t have seen it before because Mel just bought the dress last week. Whatever. I grabbed Devin’s hand and walked out the door. We drove to the park where Mel was having her party. It was a garden with woods behind it. Most of the place was already set up. The big tent was up. All the chairs and tables were ready. The balloons were blown up. Everything was practically ready. We just had to wait for the food to finish being set up and the people to arrive. It was around 4 p.m. so they should be arriving any moment now. I walked up to Mel and gave her a great big hug.

“Happy Birthday Girl!” I said happily. She hugged me tighter.

“Thanks.” She replied.

“Your welcome.” I said. Someone attacked me and I immediately knew who it was.

“Justin! Get off of me.” I said squirming underneath him.

“Never!” He pronounced like a child.

“I will kill you! You’re ruining my outfit!” I said getting slightly upset.

“Sorry lil sis.” He said giving me a kiss on the cheek and smiling innocently.

“It’s alright.” I said returning his smile. He gave me a warm smile before walking away. I saw that some people had already started arriving. Let the party begin.

Now, I need to get away. This party is getting overwhelming. I need break away. Also, these heels are slowly killing me. I took them off and snuck out the back of the tent into the woods. I walked through the woods and settled by a tree. The summer breeze felt amazing on my face. Hold on, where have I seen this scene before? It doesn’t matter. I just want to enjoy the moment right now. My dress flowed easily and smoothly with the wind and I was enjoying every second of it. I felt arms wrap around my waist and i knew who it was. It was the only person that made me feel this safe and happy by one touch. Devin.

"Hello beautiful!" He kissed me then started talking  "I have something to tell you...” He said looking deep into my eyes.

“You really don’t know how I feel about you! Nobody does! Only I do! And if I’m only sure about one thing its that I’m madly in love with you Danielle summers! I've been in love with you since the second grade! Nobody can ever change that." I was trying to say something but he continued, "We don’t deserve each other Dani! If we're together all we're going to do is hurt each other! What we had before i started dating Emily was the best thing that ever happened to me! I want to be with you but I can’t hurt Emily, I can’t hurt you, I can’t hurt myself! So if never being with each other is the only way we can be with each other so be it! I'll do whatever it takes to be as close to you as possible without hurting you! I love you!" He kissed my forehead and started walking away. Devin i love you too! Why can’t i talk? Why can’t i move? It’s like i have no voice and my feet are glued to the floor. Wait! Devin! WAIT! I know this scene. It’s the scene I’ve been having a nightmare of for the past couple of months. This can’t be happening to me. This really can’t be happening to me. I thought this was only a nightmare. A very bad nightmare. I never thought it’d actually happen. I closed my eyes and waited for the one thing I knew was coming. BOOM!  I heard a gunshot then saw Devin lying lifelessly on the ground.  my voice and legs started working again. i ran over to him.