Chapter 22

"Spill what?" I asked Franny, trying to play dumb. Key word: trying.

"This boy is Danny, the Danny I know and you didn't tell me. I'm your best friend!" Franny exclaimed.

I didn't want my only true friend to be mad at me so I decided to give in.

"Okay, fine it was Danny." I sighed looking at my shoes in embarrassment and guilt.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Franny asked sounding slightly hurt.

I didn't really have a good answer for that question. I had asked myself the same question many times before and I couldn't even find an explanation for myself.

"I dunno." I shrugged risking a glance upward at Franny's face.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Franny asked annoyed.

"I felt awkward telling you and I didn't know Danny liked me at first when he invited me to stay at his beach house and I honestly didn't even know what to say." I said spitting the words out as fast as I could.

That was the best explanation I could offer and it helped to get it out.

"Wait a sec." Franny said lightening up.

"What?" I asked.

"I have so many questions now." Franny said.

"Oh."

Here we go again.

The rest of our conversations that day was me answering Franny's questions. I didn't mind though, I kind of liked the attention and it felt good not keeping it a secret anymore.

"I can't believe it." Franny finally said shaking her head.

"Me either."

*

"So are you going to the pep rally on Saturday?" Franny asked me via FaceTime later that night.

"I wasn't planning on it. Why, are you?" I responded adjusting the the position of my iPad.

I was laying on my couch with my knees up so my iPad was on my stomach resting against my legs. With my head slightly propped up on the end of the couch it was an unflattering angle, but I didn't care because it was Franny. I guess that's true friendship.

"Yeah, Pep rallies are fun." Franny replied.

She had her phone laid flat on the table as she ate a bowl of lucky charms and leaned her head down a little to kind of look at me.

"Really? They don't seem like your type of thing." I said.

It was true. Pep rallies were for the preps and school spirit people, that didn't really fit Franny.

"Yeah, I was gonna meet with my friends there, you in?" She asked before shoving a big spoonful of cereal into her mouth and crunching loudly.

"Uh, I guess." I said unsure.

"Great! I'm having Martha pick me up since she has a car. She can pick you up too, if you need a ride." Franny said. "But you gotta let me know."

"Uh, sure." I shrugged. "If she doesn't mind." I added quickly.

"Of course not. Martha's the nicest person on earth." Franny said. "Well, most of the time." She chuckled.    
                                 *