Chapter 26

Reese apparently texted Kyle and all the others guys to meet her at Martha's house. She was going to ditch us to do the obvious with Kyle and that ticked everyone off, especially Martha.

Usually I'd be happy if everyone was annoyed at Reese but even after she had just humiliated me in front of all of them, for once I wasn't angry at her.

The recognizable sound of Kyle's piece of crap car could be heard as it arrived at the front of Martha's house.

"They can't come in here!" Martha said exasperated. "My parents are gonna flip out."

Franny's window was open and the guys' muffled could be heard by all of us.

"Let's just get outta here." A voice I instantly recognized as Danny's say.

"Oh come on." An unfamiliar voice replied. "We all know you want Sandy to come down here so you can have make up sex."

I tried not to show any facial expression when we all heard that, but I felt my cheeks heat up and I felt awkward as a couple of the girls glanced at me.

"Oh, Sandy, wherefore art thou, Sandy?" The same voice called out mockingly.

"Shut up." Danny muttered.

"Both of you calm down. I told Reese I would meet her here." A voice that I assumed was Kyle said.

Reese smirked devilishly at the sound of Kyle's voice.

"I'm done with you goody goodies." Reese said standing up and walking up to the open window. "I'm gonna get some and live while I'm young."

"Is she just gonna climb down my drainpipe?!" Martha exclaimed as Reese climbed out of the window like it was a perfectly normal thing to do.

Martha's house was fairly tall and her bedroom was on the second story. That didn't seem to faze Reese at all as she slipped out of sight.

"I hope she realizes she just quoted One Direction." Franny murmured. I couldn't help but laugh lightly. Jane snorted.

After a little while we heard Kyle's car loudly drive off. Hearing Danny talking out there and seeing Reese run off to be with Kyle only reminded me of what happened earlier.

The other girls were being chatty and having fun, but I was being even more quiet than usual. I had this weird attachment to Danny that I can't explain. It could've been because he was my first real boyfriend, but it seemed more than that. I felt like such a drama queen.

It hurt because he mattered so much to me and now it seemed like the entire summer was a lie because he obviously didn't give two craps about me.

He was probably trying to get in bed with me and gave up after it never happened all summer. The more I thought about it, the more I noticed how Danny was a douche. I should be angry, not sad. But I just couldn't be angry at him. I couldn't hate him even when I knew I should.

"What's wrong?" Martha asked, picking up on my glum mood.

She seemed genuinely concerned. Her brown eyes were filled with empathy. I really liked Martha, she always seemed to treat me with respect. I wasn't even mad at her for some of the things she said about me earlier.