Part 13

Spencer walks back into the room, his phone in his hand and a cute smile on his face as he looks at me. "What is it?" I ask, wanting to know why he had such an adorable cheesy grin on his face.

"You look so beautiful."

I can't help but blush at his comment as I brush a bit of hair behind my ear. "Lier." I joke.

"I'm not lying. You're beautiful." A tear rolls down Spencer's check. He tries to wipe it away without me noticing but he can't hide it.

"Hey what's the matter?" I ask worriedly. I push the blankets that were covering my legs away, swinging my legs around so that I can push myself up from the bed. A simple task but the bullet wound in my stomach still made it feel like there was a fire spreading through my body.

"Hey you should be resting." Spencer runs to my side to try and stop me from getting up. "Come on, back into bed."

"I've been stuck in that thing for weeks, I need to walk before I forget how to. And I really want to feel the air on my skin."

"I'll open a window, but you have to rest."

I frown at Spencer before getting an idea. "But the baby wants to go for a walk, you really gonna say no to our little peanut." I place a hand on my stomach, being careful to avoid the bullet hole as I look up at Spencer. His eyes were glued to where my hand was placed and he had a big grin on his face.

"When you put it like that then no I can't refuse the little one. But I am gonna ask the nurse for a wheelchair so you don't tire yourself out."

I look down at my stomach "What do you think peanut, will we let daddy push us about for a while?" I look back up at Spencer, "She says we can let you do that." The smile on his face growing even bigger as he moves his stare from my hand on my stomach to my eyes.

"She?"

"Yeah, I don't know why, I just have a feeling she's a girl." I say as I look down at my stomach.

"I love you Alannah."

"I love you too Spencer." He leans in and kisses me ever so gently; it was the best feeling in the world, kissing the man that I loved and even after everything, things were starting to come together and we were starting to feel like a proper, yet slightly dysfunctional family.

"I'll go get that wheelchair, you sit tight; I'll be back in a minute."

I watch as Spencer leaves the room, a smile still painted across my face as I go back to the bed to sit and wait for Spencer to come back.

***

I make my way to the reception desk, bumping into someone with a dark hood pulled up over their head as they walk down the corridor with his hands stuffed into his pockets. "Sorry." I call out, but the man just keeps walking. "Ok then." I sigh to myself as I turn my attention back to the reception desk where a young nurse was sitting looking at the computer. "Hi, err Alannah wants to go outside, I was wondering if I could take her out in a wheelchair?"

"I'll just check with the Doctor to see if that's alright. If you wait here sir, I will just be a moment." The nurse says sweetly before turning and going to get a doctor.

Just as she leaves, my phone begins to ring, I check the caller ID to see Hotch's name there, I guess I better take the call. "Reid, why are you having Garcia track Alan?"

"I know it looks bad..."

"Yes it does look bad on your part. We can't afford to waste anymore time on this case by carrying out personal vendettas. We all want Alan brought to justice but this isn't the way to do it Reid."

I knew I should have called Hotch after I got Garcia to run the search. "I know we can't but if you look at the profile it makes sense, you thought so to. He goes after surrogates of his anger, young women in their 20's, brunette hair, European and have powerful jobs. That fits Alannah."

"If we're gonna take him in we need more than that Reid."

"I know, he also rapes and beats them before dumping their bodies in different areas, using different kill methods so we know he knows how to keep us off his sent; leading us to believe he has some knowledge of forensics. Alan is a trained police office so he would have some forensics knowledge, he has the strength to carry out the killings and the knowledge to hide his tracks." I continue to plead my case and hope Hotch can see it from my point of view. "We've all seen the marks on Alannah, he obviously doesn't like his masculinity being challenged because Alannah has a higher powered job than he does, which is why he goes after high powered women and why he's dumping their bodies like garbage."

"It makes sense Reid but if we're going to take him in we need something concrete. If we question him and he gets out then he could panic and head for Alannah to finish what he started." Hotch reminds me of the risk involved in this line of inquiry.

"So what do we do?"

"Sir I might have something." I just about hear Garcia say from somewhere near Hotch. "I ran those searches that the boy genius told me to run. Turns out that he was in the same area at the time when two of the victims were dumped. There was also a killing matching the M.O. in LA when Alan was there on a training exercise."

"Where is he now?" Hotch orders.

"He's meant to be in Ohio on a training exercise." Garcia speaks up.

"Meant to be?" Hotch asks. I suddenly get a sinking feeling in my stomach.

"He's here?" The words just about make it out of my mouth in hushed tones as I listen to Garcia type away at her computers to find a location.

"Sir the doctor said that it would be fine for you to take Miss McKay out for a walk. There's a wheelchair in the corridor if you want to take it for a while." I hear the nurse speaking but it doesn't register.

"What did you say Reid?" Hotch asks, but my mind is racing, the man I bumped into. My mind jumps back to the moment he banged into me, did I catch a glimpse of him? I shut my eyes tight and try to block out the sound of the nurse asking if I was alright and Hotch shouting down the phone. The moment replays over and over again in my mind, wait I did, is that? It was, the man that banged into me was Alan. And he was heading straight for Alannah's room...