8 ▹ The Exam

Darren Johnson stood between Scott McCall and Malia Tate in a long line starting at the classroom they'd all be stuck in for three or so hours. She didn't want to be at Beacon Hills High School on a Saturday morning, she wanted to be in her bed being hugged my her covers and sleeping in till noon. But since her old school didn't allow one to take the SAT before Junior year, Darren was forced to be at school.

"Where's Lydia?"

Stiles answered Kira, "she took it her freshman year."

"Are you saying I could have take it some other time?" Malia shot at Stiles. Darren had learned a lot about Malia. She was apparently a werecoyote that killed her mother and sister on a full moon when she was young and for years she lived as a coyote. That's where Scott and Stiles came in and Alpha Scott changed Malia back to a human.

Darren turned to her new friend, she had been helping the werecoyote study for the math and science portion of the test and Darren knew the female would do just fine. "Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us."

"Doesn't mean I'm not going to do good."

Stiles instantly in habit, corrected his girlfriend, "well."

"Well, what?" Malia turned to Stiles with a confused look on her face. She didn't understand why he trailed off after well. 

"It's do well. Not good." Stiles mumbled afraid she might burst out and scream at him. 

She threw her hands up in the air, nearly hitting Darren in the face. "Oh, god!"

Scott sighed and looked Malia in the eyes, "you're doing this, because while trying not to die, we still need to live." Everyone calmed down and leaned against the lockers. "If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college."

Kira's voice sounded nervous as she tried to comfort her friends, "it's only three hours. We can survive three hours."

●●●●

Something about stepping into the classroom where the dozen of teens would be hauled up for three hours made Darren feel sick to her stomach. The moment her foot stepped into the room, she felt like she had been hit in the chest with a boulder. Of course she shrugged it off, thinking it was nerves, but in the back of her mind she had a feeling she would be adding something to her list of abilities.   

Darren stuck her thumb in the ink, her print was required on the answer sheet according to the man sitting in front of her. Every time she glanced up at him he was giving her or Scott or even Malia and Kira a grin. 

"Cellphones in the envelope, Scott. You'll get it back after the test."

Darren turned from sticking her damp thumb on the paper and faced Scott, who nodded at Lydia's mother and gave a small nod at Darren, making the brunette feel a little bit better about everything she was feeling and smiled at the Alpha before she took dropped her cell into a personal envelope and made her way to her seat, which happened to be behind Scott McCall and beside Malia Tate. 

As she was sitting down and pulling out a couple of pencils from her jacket pocket, Scott turned around, "you'll do fine, don't worry."

Darren nearly made a face at the Alpha werewolf and after a moment of trying to keep a straight face at him, she broke out a grin and chuckled down at the table. "You think I'm worried?" She moved her hair from her face and chuckled again when he rose an eyebrow, "Scott, I've been ready for this since the eighth grade. How about I tell you to do fine?"

Scott's face melted into a smile when he saw how amused the girl was, it made him feel happy that she was feeling happy once again after all the drama she had been dragged into.