Chapter 25

"I'll put Beth to bed before leaving for book club so you two can catch up," Judy offers after the three adults finish their meal. Beth already has been kind of dozing off since her bath; Britt must've tired her out.

Rachel smiles politely and stands to help move the dirty dishes and plates into the kitchen, "I can help with the dishes."

"No way, Rachel," Judy tells her with a hand up. Quinn nods in agreement off to the side but the movement catches Rachel's eyes anyway. "You're our guest, we won't let you do that."

"But I'll-" she tries to say something to convince them otherwise but Quinn interrupts.

"It's been settled, Rachel. Thanks for dinner and for helping with Beth, mom," Quinn addressed Judy. For a second, Rachel thinks she sees Judy tear up, but she coughs and uses the moment to wipe it. "We'll be in my room, if you need anything."

Judy finds her apron and ties it around her waist and neck, "don't worry, girls, this will be as fast as lightening." They all order out of the kitchen and Judy picks up Beth. "Say good night, Beth," she lightly bounces the girl in her arms to get her attention.

Rachel comes closer and puts each palm on Beth's cheeks, "goodnight, sweetheart. Dream well." She kisses the top of her head and earns a sweet giggle from Beth.

"Waych," Beth repeats once again that day. Judy hasn't heard her say this new word yet so she gasps in surprise.

"That's right, B," Quinn encourages her. "This is our friend 'Waych.'" Quinn smiles at her daughter, proud of how much she's grown. She rubs her pink cheek, then pinches her nose with the pads of her fingers, "love you, baby," and finally leaves a kiss on her head - right above where Rachel did. She kind of overanalyzes that last kiss on their way up the stairs but tries not to worry much over her mom thinking about it. If anything, Judy will just judge of it as coincidence.

"Your mom makes delicious food, I need to learn," Rachel comments walking up the stairs ahead of Quinn. Halfway up she turns, and smiles down at Quinn (for once). The look in her eyes is a mischievous one which makes Quinn like her more.

"And why do you need to learn from my mother when your father is Chef Berry?" Quinn puffs out her chest and twists her nose up, playing around.

Rachel hums in consideration and responds, "you're right. I'll just hire them cook for us."

"You want to employ our parents?" Quinn laughs and shoves Rachel lightly. Truth is, she's missed touching Rachel and she finds every opportunity to touch her without seeming inappropriate if her mother walks in on them.

Quinn opens the door to her room and lets Rachel step in first. "I missed you," Rachel says under her breath as Quinn is shutting the door. "Like," she turns around to face Quinn walking her way. "Your smell, and your eyes," she smiles and raises and eyebrow, "your smile."

"Rachel, my mom can come in at any minute," Quinn warns her and turns her head to look backwards. Rachel stops her with delicate fingers to Quinn's jaw. It's not that Quinn doesn't want to hear these things - she does, actually, very much - but she is a coward.

"Look at me, baby." Rachel says softly. "Don't worry about your mom for five seconds and let me tell you how you make me feel?" Rachel looks up at Quinn, a pouty bottom lip that's irresistible to Quinn.

"I'm sorry, go ahead. But I'm going to stand three feet away from you just in case," Quinn jokes and points a finger at Rachel to keep her distance."Because all I really wanna do right now is kiss you." she admits and bites her bottom lip.

Rachel chuckles and continues, "all of my waking minutes in New York, I thought of you." She smiles with closed lips and looks at Quinn with the most adoring look. "Yeah, a guy asked me out while I was grabbing coffee one of these days and I said, without thinking," she clears her throat and tells Quinn, "I said: 'I am flattered but I'm not interested at all. I have a girlfriend.' A girlfriend! Remember when we said that we were just friends? Yeah, it's literally impossible for me to not think of you as mine - my girl."