Panic

***

"Why didn't you tell me about all this Georgie?"Jay asked as we arrived back at the Cullen's house, tired from our journey to Italy.

My heart ached as I thought about what would have to happen, "For the same reason the Volturi gave... Now you've witnessed all of this you have to become one, like me. And I was worried I'd damn you to an existence you might not want..." I informed him sadly, studying my hands which rested in my lap.

Slowly, Jay's warm arms wrapped around me, "As long as I have you I wouldn't care Georgie. And besides... It's not like my life was that great anyway." he murmured next to my ear.

I turned to look up into his eyes, thankful that the Cullen's had given us some privacy while they called Eleazar, whoever he was...

"What d'you mean??" I found myself asking, trying to figure out why my true love was so sad.

"Look... Ever since my parents broke up around three years ago, my mums been bringing all sorts of guys over, taking drugs and drinking herself silly." he sighed heavily.

My eyes became huge as I tried to fathom how he never spoke a word of this before now, "I'm sorry Jay..." I whispered as I brushed a strand of his brown hair out of his bright green eyes.

"Don't worry about it..." he shrugged, "I tried to help her, but it's clear to me now that she doesn't need me."

I couldn't help myself as I leaned towards him, "I need you..."

Jay caressed my cheek with his hand as we closed the distance between us... Just as our lips were about to connect, the living room door burst open, making us jump away from each other.

"Alice?? What's going on?" I questioned frantically as she appeared next to me, shoving a phone in my face.

"It's your mum... You've been in Italy for the best part of three days and have missed quite a bit of school. She's worried." she cringed, golden eyes big, "You need to call her."

My heartbeat hammered in my ears as I thought of the possible consequences, "I can't... What would I say Alice?!" I said, shaking my head quickly.

My best friend seemed to think this over for a long moment before slumping down in the seat next to me, resting her head in her hands...

"Plus I'm going to be one of you in little more than a month..." I reminded her sadly.

Alice didn't answer, so instead my observation was replied to by Carlisle who appeared by the door, "Your right Georgie... You can't just vanish without explanation." he murmured, deep in thought.

"Thank you!" I agreed loudly as I watched the other Cullen's walked in.

Jasper took one look at Alice and was by her side in an instant, "What's going on darlin'?" he asked, pleading with her to tell him.

"I'm fine Jazz..." she assured him after a second.

Carlisle was still standing with a far away look in his eyes as he thought, "We need to fake your death." he announced, making me stop dead.

"We need to what?!" I shouted, my eyes huge as I stared at him.

Jay instinctively began rubbing circles on my back as Jasper touched my arm, filling me with an unnatural calmness...

"We need to do it for both of you..." Carlisle determined quietly, "You will have to stay in the house."

Alice seemed rather upset about something, and when Jasper let go of my arm to comfort her again I instantly felt the pain that would come with leaving my mother and my little sister.