Giving up

"Carlisle's coming as soon as he can." Edward informed us all as we got out of the cars that were parked very untidily in front of the house.

But we didn't have time to be neat and tidy...

"Where is he?" I demanded as we walked into the house.

Esme looked rather upset and I wanted to hug her and tell her it'd all work itself out, but she would have to wait.

There was silence to answer my question until Edward's jaw clenched, "He's already gone..." was all he said, defeat in his smooth voice.

My eyes snapped up to him, "So we're just going to let him go?? Just like that?!" I asked them all harshly.

"There's nothing we can do." he told me, but I knew he was lying.

"Your the fastest right??" I questioned Edward. When he didn't answer I watched him carefully, "We have to catch up with him."

The usually completely calm vampire's expression changed to one of uneasiness to one of determination, "I'll catch up with him, convince him to stop..." he murmured before heading for the door.

"You know that isn't what I meant." I growled.

"You can't--"

"I can. And I am."

Edward shook his head, but knew that if we wasted anymore time he'd be too far away to find properly... We had to go now.

"Get on my back." he ordered eventually.

I quickly obeyed and swallowed nervously, "When Carlisle gets here, tell him where we are... And that Georgie's with me." he said to Bella who was looking worried.

She quickly nodded and Alice gave me a sad smile, "I owe you everything Georgie... Be safe." and then we were gone.

When everyone said Edward was the fastest, they really weren't joking... I could barely comprehend the pace that the trees were whizzing past us at.

"Please tell me you have a plan Georgie?" Edward hoped as he ran.

I swallowed back my fear, "I never make plans..."

We must have been running for a while as the sky became dark, and the wind whipped painfully at my skin. But I didn't care... We had to get to Jasper.

"I can hear his thoughts!" Edward announced as he changed course slightly.

"Has he...?"

"No... He hasn't killed anyone. Or anything at all by the sounds of it." he informed me quietly.

I took a huge lungful of air to steady my erratic heartbeat, "But he is okay?"

Edward nodded, "Yes, but he's rather... Unstable right now." he told me remorse fully, "When vampires haven't hunted in a while, their anger can sometimes get the better of them..."

We eventually came to a stop in the middle of a dense forest, "He can't see you." I reminded Edward.

"He knows I'm here Georgie, if I can read his mind he can sense my emotions." he retorted gently.

My heart clenched, "Yes, but I need to talk to him calmly... And if your there it'll remind him how annoyingly perfect you are." I muttered as I kicked a tree halfheartedly.

Edward's expression was unreadable but he eventually told me that I was right, as always, and that he'd be watching... Just in case.

When i stepped into that secluded space amongst the trees I felt the gut-wrenching hopelessness which I knew Jasper was unintentionally making me feel...

I also saw him just stood with his back to me, facing up to the stars. "Jasper--"

"You know what I miss the most?" Jasper interrupted quietly, sounding depressed. When I didn't answer he continued, "I miss not having to worry about anything. Not having to live with the atrocities I've committed, and not worrying about being near people..."

I slowly took a step forwards, "You can be near people Jasper... Today was nothing. No one got hurt, everything is fine." I murmured soothingly.

Jasper span round to face me and for the first time since I'd met him I actually felt scared. "What have you been telling me a lot lately Georgie?" was his question.

"That your stronger than everyone gives you credit for... Than you think." I replied quickly, not backing down from the terrifying vampire.

His lips curled up into a sad smile, "And you were wrong..." he breathed as he threw his arms up in the air.

"I wasn't wrong about everything Jasper." I said, sticking by my opinions of him.

"You were so wrong!" he growled, ripping a tree out of the ground and flinging it at another larger one.

My fear was trying to get the better of me, but instead I tried to stay calm so he knew I still didn't consider him the monster he did himself. "I don't know what this... Thirst is like. But I do know that without you, Alice would be heartbroken." I told him truthfully.

I watched as Jaspers anger fizzled into nothingness again, and he just hung his head in sadness...

"And I know you couldn't live with that." I finished with that fact.

Because I'd finally figured the mysterious, quiet Jasper Hale out... It wasn't the guilt of his past that kept Jasper from killing people to dull that thirst inside of him. Although that certainly played a part of it, it wasn't what was holding him to the Cullens. It was Alice... Everything was about Alice for Jasper.

"Thank you." he sighed as he tried to compose himself.

"I know you Jasper, more than you think I do..." I smiled sadly.

Jasper merely nodded slightly, "I owe you everything for making me see what I had nearly thrown away..." he told me quietly.

I let a proper smile spread across my face, "Don't mention it Jazz..." I shrugged as I held my arms open for a hug, "Friends?"

His black eyes studied me for a moment before he hugged me carefully, "Apparently so..." he chuckled softly.

"You should go hunting Jasper. Then meet us back at the house." Edward suggested as he appeared from the darkness.

"Alright." he agreed and then he turned back to me, "At least you were finally scared of me..." he smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "Get goin' cowboy. You don't wanna keep your gal awaiting!" was my encouragement, doing a really bad Southern accent.

Jasper just shook his head and laughed quietly before vanishing into the trees...

My friends were all safe again, no one was going to leave or get their heart broken. And I couldn't help thinking about Jay... If only I could see him one last time to tell him just how much he meant to me. If only...

***