Visualise

***

The hours seemed to drag on as I just sat there. Never moving and never taking my eyes of my sleeping soulmates face, willing him to open his eyes...

"Staring at him ain't gonna make him wake up y'know..."

I looked slightly to the side and watched as Lailah sat on the edge of my bed, watching me watching him.

"It might..." I said quietly, knowing it wouldn't.

My old friend studied me for a long moment before letting out a heavy sigh, "I never wanted this for you Georgie... But I suppose I should've known it would happen sooner rather than later." she murmured thoughtfully.

"What's so bad about me being like you Lai??" I eventually asked her, turning to look at her fully now.

By the looks of things Alice had resorted to turning Lailah into her real life Barbie doll in my absence... Her red hair was straightened to perfection, layers framing her face. And I knew for a fact she was wearing clothes Alice had picked out.

"I suppose it was because I was so used to you being human." she mused remorsefully, "I guess I was just worried you'd be so different that you wouldn't be you... You wouldn't be Georgie."

My non-beating heart sank as I lowered my eyes, tracing my fingers over the smooth surface of Jay's hand...

"And am I different??" I questioned quietly.

"Yes." Lailah answered straight away.

When I lowered my head, thinking she'd say because I wasn't like me anymore she wanted nothing to do with me, she tapped me on the shoulder to make me look at her...

When I met her crimson eyes they were sincere, "But your still Georgie... And you'll always be Georgie, just less blushy." she assured me, winking at the end.

A smile spread across my face as I wrapped my free arm around her, still not willing to let go of Jay's hand.

"You really are a great friend." I told her truthfully.

We stayed like that for a while, hugging each other lightly as I attempted to think of anything that would make her stay... I couldn't lose her again. Not after all this.

When we finally broke apart I sighed, "You don't have to leave you know... You could stay." I reminded her sadly.

Lailah took a deep breath as she pushed a stray piece of her hair from her eyes, "Actually I've been thinking about that..." she admitted, avoiding my gaze.

"You have?" I said hopefully.

She nodded slowly, "I'd like to give it a go."

My happiness shot through the roof at those words, "That's great!" I grinned, imagining how cool it would be to have Lailah as a sister.

There was a long moment of silence, and realising that my friend was trying to work something out I went back to staring at Jay's eerily still form.

"But I'm not sure if I can do it..." she sighed, sounding very unsure of herself.

I slowly looked over at her and noticed she was looking dejectedly down at her pale hands, obviously hating feeling weak when it came to this... As slowly as I could manage I placed my own free hand over hers.

"We'll do this together Lai." I whispered.

Lailah smiled thankfully at me for a moment before I pulled away, really wishing that Jay would just wake up already...

"What did I ever do without you Georgie?" my best friend sighed next to me.

"What d'you mean??"