Chapter 25

It was the biggest turnout in the Gahana county for Great grandpa David's requiem. It was a reunion of sorts with grandpa and grandma Schuster teary-eyed and hugging their childhood acquaintances who took the opportunity to look back about the past and their memories of great grandpa David and grandma.

For Holly and Sam, the eulogy by grandpa Schuster and their childhood friends made them realize who their great grandpa was. Mr Edmund told about how he sat in his shed one night to find out who had been mysteriously chopping up wood for their wood bucket after his own Dad had died when he was was 8. He didn't tell his mum that it was uncle David because he told him not to.

But it was Mr. Moseley whose Dad was great grandpa David's best friend who explained why and how great grandpa David ended up in the beaver's nest. He said how his Dad used to tell him how uncle David was smart as he knew many remedies to different kinds of sicknesses ever since he learnt it from the old Indian squaw he saved from quick sand. But when great grandma got sick Uncle David became convinced that catching and eating a beavecoon could cure her.

"When people told him that there ain't no such thing as a beavecoon, he became more earnest in his search for one," said Mr Moseley. "I guess that explains why he was found at the beaver's nest" .

"Who says there isn't such a thing as a beavecoon, I saw it! " shouted Melanie to the shock of everyone seated at the parlor.

While Mr. and Mrs Fields tried to calm Melanie down, the rumble of the crowd began with some who supported Melanie's claim. Holly sought out Jake and found him staring at her from where he stood at the corner of the room. He grimaced and gave her a wry smile not sure what to make of the claims that brought back swiftly memories of their adventure at the caves. Holly returned his smile tentatively not sure about how she felt about him but could not forget the kiss they shared that night. He looked great in his borrowed tie and shirt and his hair still a little wet probably after a shower. She halted her own thoughts guiltily wondering what she was doing thinking about a guy at her great grandpa's funeral. Anyway didn't she swear off all footballers ? She mentally berated herself and promised she would make it up to Shaun coz she was coming back and she hoped to come back for many more years. As for Jake she didn't think he would remember once they returned to school.

They did not have the usual campfire that marked the end of their summer break at the camp. Instead, Mrs Fields, Mrs. Schuster, Aunt Philly and grandma Schuster outdid themselves baking and cooking according to recipes they got from the local women who also chipped in to help cater to at least a hundred people.

Holly took a plate full of delicious apple tarts and pizzas and made her way gingerly toward the big oak tree where she spotted Shaun lounging underneath waiting for the food queue to subside. He looked up when he saw her headed his way, in a demure black dress she borrowed from Cassie. He was not sure if he wanted to have anything to do with her. Holly saw his scowl but decided to continue hoping he would not run off. She pasted on her best smile and approached him.

"Hi, mind if I join you? " she asked . Thinking he might refuse she added "I'll share my food if you let me."

Shaun couldn't ignore her even if he wanted to. She looked so sweet with her hair down in that dress and her eyes pleading with him. He laughed and said "Sure can if all that you have on your plate is mine."

So relieved at the waning of the tension, Holly gave him a big smile as though she was welcoming back her long lost friend. After she settled down next to him, she asked if they could continue being friends.

"What can I say, Holly? You'll be back next summer with your family and I come back as helper again. "

"You know what I mean and you know what you are to me. ..Just not the way you think it should be". Holly reached out a hand to cover his.

He looked at her not sure if he could take not loving her or wanting to kiss the daylights out of her and weighing it against not talking to her or seeing her anymore.

"You could change your mind in a couple of years you know.", he replied.

"Yeah, who knows and you could too". She took the olive branch he offered and they both smiled to seal their agreement. So glad that she got her friend back, Holly threw her arms around him and gave him a big hug.

Jake who saw the hug dropped his trash bag mid-way to the bins as Shaun grinned mischievously back at him behind Holly's back. Cassie sauntered up looking disgustedly at her hands which was full of the banana filling from a cupcake startling Jake.

"I need to dump this. Open the bag. What are you staring at?" She looked over and back at Jake's stricken face and smiled slyly.

"Need a little help over there?" She sniggered.

"No". He replied abruptly taking the cupcake from her hands and dumping it before marching off to the bins.

"Oh no, here comes trouble.", Cassie said to no one in particular as she sauntered toward Shaun and Holly.

"Hey you guys, it's so boring why don't we play some games?" She asked Holly and Shaun who quickly broke the hug.

"Cassie, I hope it hasn't escaped you that it's a requiem and not a party?" Holly answered annoyed at Cassie's intrusion.

" What about tonight, our last night together?" Cassie further suggested unfazed by Holly's sarcasm.

"What do you have in mind Cassie?" asked Shaun who was glad that she came along to break a hug that was making him uncomfortable. He noticed Cassie was also looking very pretty in her little sexy black lace dress that showed off her ample figure.

"What about "Truth or Dare"?" She replied with as much gullibility as she could manage.

-------------------

I'm so excited to write the next chapter! Oh and this chapter has been edited by my sister and mom, like it? Comment! Vote! Thanks! Sorry for the late update, couldn't think of anything to write and BAM! I just got it! Bye! Picture to the side is Cassie and Holly's outfits!